Little green meany

Started by gstours, July 23, 2021, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's another of Dave's jigs that he has contracted me to test.   About 8 ounces and got a dinner fish in about 130 feet at slack tide.    The halibut has nice colors,      On to more testing 🎣

Bill B

Looks like his designs are working. Very interesting colors on that butt.  Is that coloration common?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jurelometer

Nice!!!  I lurve seeing my jigs getting a workout.

Been fishing that style for a few years now in warm water locales, but only chasing the local not-exactly-large rockfish in cold water.  Very useful to see what our resident halibut king thinks about them.

For these new style vertical jigs, the way that I work them made a bit of difference in  how well they fish.  For bounce jigging this jig, breaking up a long  upsweep motion into three start/stops and then a full slack drop seemed to work a bit better. But it is a lot more work, and not sure how much difference it would make where the current is strong and the water is less clear.   There are also some ways to work this jig  as a cast lure, but probably not as much of interest to you unless the yellowtail migrate farther north :)

I see you are  top/bottom rigging the jigs.  Are you getting more hookups on the top or bottom hook?

-J

Dominick

Nice work Dave and Gary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on July 23, 2021, 06:30:02 PM
Looks like his designs are working. Very interesting colors on that butt.  Is that coloration common?   Bill

The more fashionable halibut will only eat the lures with Gary's artistic paint jobs   ;D ;D ;D

-J