Pflueger's Mechanical Thumber from SkilKast to Sea King: A work in progress

Started by Paul Roberts, July 23, 2021, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I started this post in the Schematics section, looking for a schematic for the Sea King 2288, the "newer" model that followed the 2188. The two reels are not the same exact animal. But, I've learned something. Since apparently I cannot delete that post, I'll make good use of it, for educational purposes; Pflueger's "Mechanical Thumber" specifically. And I've moved it over here to the the Antiques/Collectibles section.

My Sea King 2188 is missing some MT parts. But, in looking for a parts reel I discovered that many of the SK 2188's out there have a different MT from the one mine has. Mine has the same one that the newer 2288 model has. The 2288 was introduced in 1962, the 2188 discontinued in either 1960 or '61.

So mine has the newer version of the MT. The schematic I have for the 2188 is from 1960 and shows the new MT. So, I don't need a 2288 schematic. I'm covered there.

Pflueger's "Mechanical Thumber"'s

The older Sea King 2188's (mid-1950's) apparently have an externally different looking version of the MT. And it's not the same as the one found on the Akerite and Sea-Vue —perhaps older yet although these reels all overlapped in production by the mid-50's. Internally, the MT on the Akerite (essentially a Capitol with an MT) and Sea-Vue (the Ohio with an MT) have a rather elegant one-way double cam (cam within a cam) mechanism that allows for spool tension when the spool is spinning line out, but not when the spool is taking line in. And for those who are interested, the MT in the freshwater SkilKast produces the same function —and effectively I might add— but employs a single cam and tiny (and loose!) ball-bearings instead of opposing cams. The SkilKast, introduced in 1941, predates the double cam mech.

I do not know what is inside the older SK 2188 MT. Perhaps it's the same mechanism as the "new"/2288 version, just the cap cosmetics changed?  I do not own one to look inside, nor have an appropriately dated schematic.

This new MT in the late model 2188, and the 2288, I also do not understand bc I am missing some parts in an otherwise very good condition reel. I suspect/wonder if the MT parts may have been removed by a previous owner to achieve full unimpeded FS, since these reels were considered a top choice amongst surf-casters. This new MT stack has what's called the "sealed in unit", a black box to me bc it looks just like a fat washer; No moving parts that I can see, or hear. Perhaps it is seized? Or, it interacts with one of the missing parts in my reel.

Regardless, I'm still in need of those parts, or an inexpensive parts reel. A bit leery of parts reels since I don't know if older 2188's have the same mech. Or, in the newer 2188's, if people were removing the parts. Asking people to open up the MT stack, esp in a low priced reel, is a lot to ask of most people. But I've asked anyway! Hey, you never know.

I'm intrigued by these MT's —how they work— having been impressed by the efficacy of the SkilKast's one-way MT. It's a centrifugal spool brake that really works; The closest thing to magnets I've tried. So... I'm curious how these developing saltwater versions work.

Images in order:
-SkilKast
-Sea-Vue/Akerite
-Sea King 2188 (old)
-Sea King 2188 (new)
-Sea King 2288
-Sea King 2188 (new 1960) Schematic