Sal's Super Tank traveling the west

Started by Maxed Out, July 24, 2021, 02:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

June 2020 Sal built this wicked Cortez Conversions 114H for me. I'm not certain I'll ever get to use it, so I'm turning it into a traveling supertank.

For now I am limiting its travel to only west coast ohana members. If you're traveling to Baja with it, that's ok too (Dominick). I know several of you have long range trips coming soon. Please jump in and speak up so we can get this reel doing what Sal made it to do. I'll even put up $500 for the first person that lands a cow with this reel. How's that for some incentive !!

The reel is a 114H Twex and for those wanting smaller(bft, wahoo, etc), I have a super narrow T60xn kit that can be swapped out in minutes. Both kits need Line, and whoever puts line on it, I'll pay for the line.

I'll add a few more details in a bit. pm if interested in using this beast. :-\

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

If I can get myself scheduled to fish San Diego this September it would be fun to have this available. This may be incentive to set the dates and lock it in.

MarkT

A cow with 3.25:1 gears? Good luck with that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

milne

Wow, Stunning reel
And what an offer from Ted for you guys over that side of the world.....
I'm pretty sure you won't receive a bill for the line Ted...
Classic Tank right there

Col

Dominick

Chances of catching a cow where I fish is a long shot.  I am going down to Baja Thanksgiving week with the family but will only get one day of fishing in with a bunch of non fisher types.  I will be going again next June and I would be honored to take it along.  There is an off chance I might get a fishing trip there in October, I'll keep you posted.  This whole idea is very generous of you.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks for sharing your message of Sals reel.   I,m proud to say I gifted Sal a piece of titanium sheet a long time ago.    He was a very nice guy.     I hope whoever uses this reel has the best of luck.🎣

Maxed Out

Yes Gary, your timing on reply is impeccable. I just sent the reel to David Hall and he is fishing it for BFT from his boat as we speak !! Go gettum David !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

been so busy working on the and fishing, amd working on the boat and working on the trailer and fishing that I almost forgot I still have to work to support my habits but hey!  last Sunday I took the boat and the 6/0 out for a very long day, it was a beautiful day, I had only days before made my final payment on the boat and this would be the first trip out on my now free clear and unencumbered boat!  yay! 14yrs payments on a 15yr loan.  but shes all mine now.  long story short, everything was perfect and boats were catching fish all around us and I got nothing nada, zilch, zippo, bit they say it takes five trips to get it dialed in, that was trip number four.  trip number five will be the next good weather day after Thursday.
im hoping for Friday but have to check the conditions.  my boat can handle pretty much any of our local conditions short of the absolute worst, but my neck cannot so I have to be a bit picky about the days I go out.  the 6/0 trolled live Macs for nine hours on day one.  lets see what we can do with it on day 2.

Brewcrafter

Good luck David!  I am hearing the weather is laying back down after the chaos of a week or so ago, so good luck on the your next run! - john

David Hall

i have had the big 6 out twice now out od Santa Cruz and spent 19hrs trolling it around through waters full of BFT and Ive not managed a single strike. 

Jim Fujitani

I'll use the old saying (that I'm sure you are familiar with):  "It's not you Dave, its BFT being BFT!!"

Some have reported bites every day they go out (boating is another thing altogether) and many have not had a bite even though they've seen plenty of marks on their screens and trolled live macks through the schools.   

David Hall

Jim, your right, and even though the method Im fishing is proven it still makes me 2nd 3rd and 4th guess my tactics when I get blanked.  They can be a frustrating species.  Physics teaches us that the greater the energy exerted elicits an equal and opposite reaction.  Im still paying my dues.

Shark Hunter

It is all about being in the right place at the right time.
My September Shark trip was a total bust.
Nothing but Nasty Sail Cats and I fished every night.
It is what it is.
Best of Luck to you David.
Life is Good!