It’s a Little Stiff & the A/R Doesn’t Work

Started by foakes, July 24, 2021, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Trying to knock out 6 or 8 reels today — this old Mitchell 300 is number 4.

Client sez a little stiff turning — and the anti-reverse doesn't work anymore.

Well...I am not complaining — and am appreciative of the work — and some jobs are a lot messier and time consuming than others.  Some are pretty quick and routine — if it wasn't full of 3 kinds of 35 year old grease — I would not be working on it.

And, at least now — I know where the grease spill went when the Exxon Valdez' ran aground.

So this is no hill for a mountain climber.

I'll post a pic when it is done — got a DQ 110N in the ultrasonic cleaner right now — this goes in next.

Latex glove time with Q-Tips.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

well, it kept the parts safe from corrosion  ::)

Midway Tommy

HA! Been there, done that, a time or two! It's sure not as much fun as playin' the mud when you were a kid.  :D Hopefully that gray crap isn't graphite grease.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I haven't seen it as much as you guys but, I use a plastic spudger to get the majority of old grease removed.Then  I cut an acid brush down to 3/8"used along with alcohol and canned air.I guess being in electronics 40 years-tools of the trade...we use to have to wire brush B-52 black boxes for 2 days to remove the green corrosion (planes from Guam) then apply alodine, maybe this is why I talk slow or eyes twitch...Ba ha ha

happyhooker

A little stiff and no A/R: was that all?

Frank