Got my first Penn Reel

Started by Wolfram M, July 25, 2021, 08:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Came in a package deal with a box full of micrometers at a pawn shop. I wanted the micrometers, the reel didn't show up until I was paying and I just told him to ring it up.

Two bucks, for a Penn 155 that has never seen saltwater. Came with the linen line on it and everything, and the reel foot is stamped 30-155. Has a nice red torpedo handle, and a three-ring counterweight.

The anti-reverse is stuck, I can't get it to flip to the rear "off" position, but other than that it seems like it's all fine.

akfish

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the anti-reverse is stuck. The anti-reverse on that reel is always on. If you mean the free spool lever is stuck and you cannot shift from retrieve to free spool, it likely means the pinion bearing is stuck to the spool shaft. That is common in reels that have been fished in salt and not serviced. If yours has never seen the salt, the lever could be stuck due to old, gunked up grease.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bill B

A $2 155 is always a win.....a quick tear down and it'll be good as new...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Wolfram M

Quote from: akfish on July 25, 2021, 08:44:55 PM
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the anti-reverse is stuck. The anti-reverse on that reel is always on. If you mean the free spool lever is stuck and you cannot shift from retrieve to free spool, it likely means the pinion bearing is stuck to the spool shaft. That is common in reels that have been fished in salt and not serviced. If yours has never seen the salt, the lever could be stuck due to old, gunked up grease.

I'm 8 hours from the closest salt here, and the reel was picked up another 2 hours inland. No pitting, no corrosion, nothing but a little grease-varnish around the handle nut. Not even a little green.

I doubt it's ever been serviced, the screw heads show no signs of a screwdriver in the slots. Once I get a penn wrench to take the handle off I'll break it down and give it a thorough cleaning.

foakes

Gordon —

If you don't have a Penn wrench — I will send you a couple different sizes tomorrow.

N/C.

Unless you already have one coming.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wolfram M

Fred, that would be most appreciated. I do not have a Penn wrench.

PM incoming.

oc1

Wolfram M

Never have gotten this one apart-haven't had time to look at it yet. I did finally get some time to finish up my two Daiwa silver-series, and pick up a Daiwa 70XX to mod into a "nice reel".

Maybe this spring I'll have time to fool around with this one. I'm sure there's a hot spot to get a penn wrench, anyone on the forum here sell them?

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !