Cardinal 54 ABU Sweden

Started by Donnyboat, July 26, 2021, 02:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi everyone, I have just tripped over the above reel, I would like to give it a good service, but the press button spool, wont come of off the shaft.
     is there a plan 2, ?. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Don,
Have you tried taking the main shaft out with the spool attached? Either the spring inside the spool is hung up in the groove/indentation on the shaft or the cross pin is frozen to the groove in the back of the spool. I doubt the main shaft is stuck on the hole in the spool. Once you get the main shaft w/spool out squirt a little oil or penetrating oil on the shaft & let it run down into the spool. Then hold the button in and wiggle the shaft back & forth until it works loose. If it still doesn't come loose you can carefully pop out the chrome ring on the front of the spool to access spring & shaft. There will be a spring & washer in the cavity as seen here along with the button and spring. The chrome ring is just held in by friction. That should do the trick. Make sure you put a little grease on the end of the shaft when you put the spool back on. Most people neglect to lubricate that spool spring mechanism & a little grease on the tip of the shaft does wonders.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Thanks Tommy, very helpful man, I must admit, it did enter my mind, but considering the drag is at the end of the shaft, I was hoping there would be another option, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi Tommy, I have the reel in pieces, there is a nylon bushing fixed to the shaft, with a clip under neath, not to sure of how to remove it & dont want to brake anything, I have sent you a message please check, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

I answered. Here's the block, it just clips on. You can see the groove in the center of the U that slips over the ridge on the main shaft.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Thanks again Tommy, removed the shaft, then plenty of lube, let it sit for about 2 hours, then jigged the spool back & forth, slowly came loose, then popted of, had it all back together, working much better now, so about to take the rotor of again & start working on the bail arms, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Sounds like with Tom's expert advice — you got it working, Donny —

If you decide you want a new spool — I have plenty.

Just let me know.  

Been going through the ABU/Zebco/Cardinal/Garcia parts the last few days — to get it into the upper shop.

There are 14 large bins so far — mostly new (95% new old stock).

Plus 2 or 3 bins of just reels.  Most small parts, plus bodies, frames, rotors, spools, cranks, bails, sideplates.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.