Badge adhesive

Started by Bishop808, July 27, 2021, 05:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop808

What type of adhesive should be used for the badges?

PacRat

Use whatever Fred recommends. He has done many. I think he might use 3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive or Gorilla Glue (non-foaming)...but wait for his recommendation. I've used Shoe-Goo but I have no idea how long it will last.

-Mike

Swami805

For newells I use silicon seal. As long as the 2 pins are intact it works fine, haven't had one come off yet. Not sure what newell used but they do fall off from time to time.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Mike is right, I use both of those adhesives —

Clear Gorilla glue, and also 3M Automotive Emblem adhesive.

I used Tac-Glue for a good many years — but if not really careful — there was some very dangerous stuff for ingredients.

DAM would use some sort of flexible rubber type adhesive on the fish emblems — and they would occasionally come off.

On their round metal (zinc coated brass, I think) brand/model emblems — they used something stronger that seldom ever failed.

Many of the modern adhesives advertise a solid set in a couple of minutes.  However, while that may be true — even with modern glues — there is no substitute for a firm clamping process for at least 30 - 60 minutes, generally overnight since the reel won't ship until the next day anyway.  I guess I am old fashioned, being a woodworker for nearly 60 years.

Some reel companies are notorious for glued emblems falling off — some really stay on forever.  Alcedo, SouthBend, and a few others are common examples of missing emblems.  Penn spinners to a lesser extent — just once in a while.  

I was looking for a better adhesive when I thought of the 3M Automotive Emblem Adhesive.  I figured if the emblems would stay on through rain, snow, hot sun, and car washes — it would work on reels.

As for the plastic, graphite, or Tupperware reels out of Asia — they have been using decals, stickers, or shiny foils.

It is not a problem with those — since it is always a race whether the foil sticker will fail first — or the reel.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.