Torium Question

Started by Salmon Head, August 25, 2021, 06:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmon Head

I have a new Torium 16HG I now use for Salmon trolling. The first time I used it(about a week ago) it basically locked up. I couldn't get it to reel in any line, with the drag loose or tight. I showed it to a fishing partner right away and he said too much line on it(I do have a habit of maxing out my reels with line). It was holding 25 lb. mono with about 75 yards of 50 lb. braid on top. Once I pulled off about 50 yards of line it worked normally.
  I've used level wind Penns and a Takota in the past, and never had that or any problem before. Was it just too much line for a high speed reel? I'm curious as to why the Torium would do that. I've heard lots about how great Torium's are, so I'm sure the problem was a result of something I did.
  Thanks much for the info. - New guy Torium amateur.

oc1

The line was probably bunched up and rubbing on the frame below the spool.  It's easy to do with a wide open frame like that.

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on August 25, 2021, 06:30:57 PM
The line was probably bunched up and rubbing on the frame below the spool.  It's easy to do with a wide open frame like that.
Agree this to be most likely problem.   Many reels do that and if you have heavy leader with knot it does not move sometimes.

Cornelis