Charter Special - Stiff Handle

Started by Stan, July 27, 2021, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I've got a Charter Special TR2000 with one of Alan's frames.  Reel has been working fine until recently when the handle became stiff to turn as I increase the drag.  I've replaced the right side main bearing, but as nothing changes.  As soon as I start applying drag, the handle becomes increasingly hard to turn.

I've reviewed the tutorials and can't quite find an answer to my problem.   Others have had similar solutions and come up with different solutions, but I don't think anyone had this issue with an aluminum Alan frame.  I've disassembled and reassembled several times, but no change..  Where do I start?

alantani

that sounds classic for a corroded right main side plate bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stan

Just sent Dawn a note to order three complete bearing kits for my three charter specials!

Stan

So I just replaced all four bearings with new ones from Dawn...and no change.  I see that some other folks have had the same problem, but I can't find resolution!!!

alantani

any chance that you are trying to go past 15 pounds of drag?  how much drag does it take to affect cranking?

Stan

Nope...Happens starting at very light drag settings....Almost as soon as there is any pressure on the drag washer

alantani

what you are describing is classic for a right main side plate (pinion) bearing that is totally seized.  but you replaced it, right?

Stan

Correct....I replaced all bearings.   Reel was working perfectly until last time I used it.  Replacing the bearings made no difference.  It is on one of your frames, with your handle arm and handle. 

alantani

Stan

alantani

hopefully i can figure it out!   :-\

alantani

Figured it out!!! There were a pair of thrust washers that had to come out. The stock configuration is a pair of thin bellevilles and the thrust washers.  If you use the thick bellevilles,  those thrust washers need to left out so that there is enough room!!! Like you, I had it apart a dozen times before I noticed.  You are also getting a new gear and pinion bearing.