Cork tape on a reel seat

Started by JasonGotaProblem, July 27, 2021, 06:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Why do people put cork tape on a reel seat for a spinning rod? Ive seen it a few times but never understood it. Is it just an aesthetic thing? hand comfort? Something else?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

To be clear what I'm referring to is what is shown in the attached image.

I'm working on a rod for a friend. He asked if I could do that. My primary question was: why? He didn't know why. But he'd seen it and wants it.

So I'm hoping someone here knows.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

for comfort...  nicer ones are prob. thicker inserts, rather than tape
top-locking can be found that are pretty much all cork, once locked down
very cozy for L/UL, but I'd have strength/durability concerns as power goes up

dlrider

That he doesn't know why but has "seen" it, indicates to me that it is an aesthetic thing.  It does look nice.  Wouldn't the cork application depend upon a specific reel and the length of of its foot?

SoCalAngler

Sometimes the reel foot and the rods reel seat have a little wiggle in them and adding cork tape tightens everything up.

jurelometer

I think that the rod in the photo was made with a skeleton reel seat.   The reel seat comes in two parts, with the center barrel missing, and you can put cork rings (not tape) or whatever in between.   Maybe try some galvanized pipe for a more macho, industrial look.

I think that the argument for  cork in the middle of the reel seat on a spinner is that it is more comfortable, lighter, has a  better grip,  and more sensitive for feeling bites than the reel seat material  (not sure that I buy this last one).   

And then then there is the other reason that you already noted (it looks cool to some folks)   :)

I am just thankful that bedazzling rods has not taken off (yet).

-J