Baby Redear

Started by jgp12000, July 27, 2021, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I stocked 200 Shellcrackers in my pond 2&3 years ago and today is the first baby I have caught.I have been releasing the biguns, they are around 1.5 pounds now.I hope to grow a wall hanger.I keep or give away all the bream I catch.

philaroman

do you have bigger predators stocked, to cull the runts & give potential trophies some exercise?
otherwise, they might plateau in size...  no "incentive to grow bigger"

maybe, get the tiniest barbless or micro-barb dry-fly hooks (#30?);
catch some of the smallest pond-born & put them out as bait, to see what eats them

jgp12000

Yep I used this one fer bait, I have bass, bowfin, catfish ,& turtles all love this size. It's something how bowfin & speckled cats get into a pond that was only stocked with bass,crappie,& bream. Last year I even caught a redfin pike which I have never caught anywhere else in my 58 years. The pond was built in 08' by a previous owner. Near a creek with lots of waterfowl. Last year I caught a 10lb Bass letting it get bigger for one of the grandchildren to catch.

happyhooker

Eggs (or fish with eggs in them) get et by birds, then "released" over waters, and, boom, you got an interloper.  It only takes one egg to hatch & survive.

Frank