Got some good halibut bait recently.

Started by gstours, July 29, 2021, 02:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Waiting for a chance to go fishing 🎣 is sometimes painful 😣. , so after many delays the big tides stood in the way.... viola,  let's go fishing to get some bait!   Plan a.
   Troll in the early morning, n fish for pink salmon.   These are smaller and sometimes available and are legal in our state to use as bait for sport fishing.
  We used a flasher/ n dodger and a small hootchy or buck tail trolling fly and had a lot of fun.
The carcasses always make 🦀 bait oars some shrimps.   Nothing is wasted.   Except a burp. 😹

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Those look like coonstripe shrimp. Pink salmon are ok for the smoker. Our local run is shut down because poor returns. We used to get average of 8-10 million into the river right by my house. 4 per day limit, but nowadays it's closed.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Gary, please tell me you are note disrespecting the Great Red Cooler by sitting on it!?! 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

That cooler looks to be in to good a shape to be THE red cooler. Besides that one looks pink.  ;D       Rudy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Nice salmon Gary, not a bad looking decky either, you have all the luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

We have ups n downs in our fishery much like other areas,  butt when a plan works out it's worth doing sometimes,  this year is a good pink/humpy year.  These smaller salmon return stronger every other year.
  Meaning next year might be poor in their abundance is expected.
I keep them whole and freeze them individually.  Nothing is wasted.   The head is a very good halibut bait.
   We used a flasher or dodger ahead of some small buck tails fly, or plastic hootchy .some patterns are shown.
  Slowly trolling about 100 feet behind a boat in the upper water column in the morning wokes best,  then usually go deeper to 100 feet if sunny.   

gstours

Making your own flys is kinda fun,  here's a little coho/ silver we got as well.   These are excellent eating fish.

gstours

Using light tackle makes these fun to play,  bbq, tonight...🎣🤷‍♂️
   By spoon scraping the spine about a cup of nice small minced meat can be salvaged ant then plan fish patty's or crocqetts for a little lunch 🥗.     Wish you were here.    Thanks 🙏.

Gfish

Wish I was, too. Better fishing there, than here, I'll bet( that is if you're limited to shore and Kayak fishing). Overcast, windy, rains 3-4 times/ day. Just turn down the temp. bout 30 F, decrease the humidity 20 points, remove most of the tourists and it's Alaska here, all nice and green, but without that great cold water fishery. You, me and your "decky", or just me and your decky! HA!
It's about that time eh, Silvers! I hit the "on" year for Pinks when up there years ago, it was fun in the river, then it got too easy, but I'll take easy any day over skunk.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!