Wooden reels

Started by otownjoe, July 30, 2021, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otownjoe

I saw these reels at a antique shop in Harrogate England. I don't know if they are antique or collectable.I really liked them but I passed on buying them.  I wasn't sure if they were a good buy and there was about 10 to choose from. Lo and behold Santa shipped them ups the next Christmas.  Joe

Midway Tommy

They're fairly common, but cool to have in one's collection!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Yes, if you like them... I guess that's my main criteria.

oc1

They also come in side-cast models.

otownjoe

I like them for the simplicity. They remind me of when I was  8 or 9 years old. I tried to make a fishing reel out of a small spool of mono. I spent countless hours unsuccessfully trying to find a design that worked. If only I had thought of that.

oldmanjoe

:)     Yes I still fish with them from time to time ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Sharkb8

Oldmanjoe them drum reels look cool I have not seen that type before. Did you make them?

Kim

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Sharkb8 on July 31, 2021, 10:06:41 PM
Oldmanjoe them drum reels look cool I have not seen that type before. Did you make them?

Kim
Yes ,I like to play with the swamp oak ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

whalebreath

Commonly used in the British Columbia Salmon sportfishery these locally made models have been in production over 80 years.

https://www.peetzoutdoors.com/collections/fishing-reels

UKChris1

The wooden centrepin reels turn up in posh antique shops and tatty junk shops here in the UK. Prices vary according to condition of course but range from very cheap to silly money. The grander styles have more complex brass supports ranging from a simple L-shape bracket to 'starback' where the brass has a cross-piece on the back right up to 'frog-back' reels where the brass is quite ornate and, with a bit of imagination, looks like a frog (well, a flat frog perhaps).

With a clean and light varnish (linseed oil perhaps), they look neat but would have been a pain to cast!

The largest sizes were used for sea fishing and were generally known as Scarborough reels, after the Yorkshire town. I take my hat off to those who used them for light freshwater fishing casting direct from the reel with a silk line.

There was usually no braking system and often no ratchet or check. I guess tangles were pretty common!

Hytekrednek

Quote from: otownjoe on July 31, 2021, 09:20:19 AMI like them for the simplicity. They remind me of when I was  8 or 9 years old. I tried to make a fishing reel out of a small spool of mono. I spent countless hours unsuccessfully trying to find a design that worked. If only I had thought of that.

Funny, I did the same thing. I used a 1/4# spool of cheap-o line from k-mart, a couple coat hangers, bit of wood, and some wire ties. I probably spent 3 days making a reel, or trying to anyway. I eventually gave up, grabbed my rod with a Johnson country mile on it, green one, and went back fishing. At least i think it was a johnson. It was forest green and cast to the horizon, so I thought.  I never did get the "reel" working.