112H not going to complete free spool

Started by dbiscayne, July 30, 2021, 10:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbiscayne

hopefully an easy fix, cleaned up a new to me 112H, seemed to engage and disengage the gears before disassembling. New carbon drag kit 6-309SP from Mystic everything else is stock except maybe the yoke it had a stainless yoke in it already.
Got it back together, goes into gear just fine but when going into free spool the spool sounds like it's thumping the pinion gear where it receives the spool, about every half turn a thump but not enough to stop the spool. If I lean the reel onto it's non-drive side and loosen the non-handle side bearing a bit the thump almost completely goes away, can hear just a slight tick but free spool seems to be pretty good.
The dog is engaging good.
Could the tabs on the eccentric jack be pushed down just a little keeping the reel from completely disengaging?

Wompus Cat

QuoteCould the tabs on the eccentric jack be pushed down just a little keeping the reel from completely disengaging?

Yes and you can bend them up a bit with a small flat screwdriver  or if it has  Ball Bearings then you may have to shim the bearing on the Gear side out a hair to move the spool away from the pinion and or if no ball  Bearing make sure the  Standard bearing cap is snug on the gear side plate.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

I've had this happen a couple of times, once all I hada do was redisassemble and turn the yolk back over to what was prolly the original position. One of these days I'll remember to mark the yolk when first disassembling...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: Gfish on July 31, 2021, 01:35:55 AM
I've had this happen a couple of times, once all I hada do was redisassemble and turn the yolk back over to what was prolly the original position. One of these days I'll remember to mark the yolk when first disassembling...
fish, you don't have to mark the yoke. It is an item that is made in a punch press & one side is sharper than the other. Just place it in the reel when assembling it with the more rounded edge facing you so the jack slides up the yoke smoother. To assist it more you can even file or sand the edge more to make for a smoother transition.        Rudy

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on July 31, 2021, 01:35:55 AM

True Dat for sure .  Very Good Point Gfish!

In a perfect world the yoke will be flat and would install either way  ,. Bottom line is when you have it apart the pinion should be below the surface of the Bridge plate when in Free Spool position with what ever position of the rest of the parts.

dbiscayne

I mispoke in the original post, it wasn't a ss yoke that was in the reel it's a ss eccentric blame that on friday brain fog.
Took it apart again & bent the tabs steeper on the eccentric (before I read the post about flipping the yoke), that fixed the thumping free spool problem but now it would grind when turning the handle while out of gear, the free spool just didn't spin very well, and out of nowhere the dog quit clicking as loud, still engaged but just barely heard it.
Bent the tabs back a little flatter and that seemed to do it, spins pretty good in free spool and pops in & out of gear just fine.
The ss eccentric thats in there seems pretty cheap, very thin and doesn't sit well between the bridge screws and it really liked rotating out of alignment while assembling and probably was getting hung up. Almost seems like the tabs don't reach far enough down to fully hang over the yoke when in gear.
All is well again thanks for the info from everyone!

Wompus Cat

To help make it clear how your Pinion  Clearance should look when assembling with the above mentioned
points on Yoke placement etc.
Here is what it should look like in Gear

And disengaged (Free Spool) position