In search of TSS4 Speedmaster Special handle

Started by Mrc70, August 01, 2021, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hi guys. I have a Triton Speedmaster Special 4 TSS4 without a handle. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement handle? 

foakes

That looks like a screw-in crank, Mac —

Got a lot of Shimano handles — not sure how to match it up without being on the bench.

I will check later today when I return home — if no one else has a for-sure fitting crank.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mrc70

Thank you, Fred!  And yes, it is a screw-in crank.

Mrc70

Still looking.  I called Shimano in Irvine, CA but they could not help  :(.  Apparently, the Baitrunner 6500 handle will fit the TSS4.  If anyone knows where to find one of these handles, please let me know.  Thanks. 

foakes

Found a few screw in cranks — the problem is, I don't have that reel to match the loose cranks up with.

Will need some more information and a photo as to what we are looking for.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mrc70

Thanks, Fred. The Shimano part # is RD 2193. Attached is a pic. I hope this helps.

foakes

Just checked a couple of sources for you this morning — no luck so far.

I recently got rid of all of the Shimano parts.

Here are some loose handles — of which it is likely some could be modified to fit.

Hopefully someone will have the right crank.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Measure the Size of the Hole if you have a Caliper  and let us know if you can
and either post a Close up of the Hole or tell us if it is Left or Right Hand Thread and if Course or Fine Thread will help .
There are GOBS of Handles I think will interchange off other Japanese Made Reels.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

There are some on ebay — but they are really expensive.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Mrc70

Ok thanks. I will try to measure the hole ASAP.

Yes, someone overseas on the auction site has a handle for $52 plus tax  :o

philaroman

have very likely alternate/upgrade: Sustain 6000FA handles (RD4789) -- all metal / rosewood knob;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=shimano+%28rd4789%2Crd-4789%2C4789%29&_sacat=1492&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1
the bling machined cap & wide aluminum collar fits most "boxy old blackies" like original Baitrunner
also, have 6000FA main gear bearings that are a straight swap for the plastic bushings in most "old blackies"  
4000FA handles fit the earlier 2000F so the screws should be same as older reels
I don't think Shimano started the "different screw for every model-year" nonsense, until SustainFB

also, pretty sure shimano went back to same screw size for early Malaysian direct drives
my handle went onto a huge modern Baitrunner 16 or 20,000, no problem -- similar overall dimensions/clearance
you may be able to use modern Malaysian screw-in, if the collar is not too skinny

what's expensive?  don't rush to overspend...  if you find a cheap known/measured match, grab it!!!
otherwise, I could do lightly used to near-mint RD4789 handles $25-30 (sorry, for asking >$20,
but value/price goes up since I figured out that they replace/upgrade later Malay "plasticky" handles)
BTW, your schematic is mixed in w/ conventionals under Triton: https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Triton/SHIMANO%20TRITON%20SPEEDMASTER%20SPECIAL%20TSS4US%2889-34%29.pdf
doesn't look like you need bearings; make sure you have a cap for the other side (also available)
stock photo:

Mrc70

Ok, here are some pics with measurements. Does this help? 

Wompus Cat

My old eyes say it's a 1/4 "  Coarse (Left Hand Thread) or @6.5 mm It could be reg.(Right ) thread but I just can't make it out . Generally Reels that are not Ambi.  favor Left Hand Threads with Handles  on the Left but not a Law ....lol
I have such a Handle off and old Eagle Claw Reel that Might work . Fred's looks like  no go in his pix.
Let me know if you can determine the Thread  direction.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Mrc70

Dumb question: how do I determine thread direction. Lol

When I spin the rotor as if reeling in line, the metal handle thread spins counter clockwise.

philaroman

that's a reversible handle w/ compound screw -- both reg. & reverse-threaded
only one engages L/R -- the two sides of the gear are tapped differently
L/H retrieve is ALWAYS reverse-threaded & R/H is regular, otherwise reeling unscrews handle