New To Me 505HS

Started by Classtime, August 03, 2021, 12:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classtime

I received this 505 with a Tiburon frame (along with a 506 similarly equipped). I'm just now playing with it and found that the Take Apart Screw comes out all the way and is not retained in the side plate. The screw looks like the schematic with all the parts. Is this just a thing when you put a Tiburon frame on a 505?

Jeff

Rancanfish

I don't believe so. On some there is a small brass sleeve that fits on the end of the screw that retains it. Which sideplate is it?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

I think it's supposed to fasten to the inner ring, it shouldn't come out
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Classtime

The hole in the side plate is worn and will not retain the screw. I cannot imagine a fix for that. Maybe a drop of glue on the bushing?  I also acquired a 506 from the same seller and on that reel, the take apart screw is retained but the spring is exposed inside of the side plate/ring and seems to be missing the retaining ring part of the screw. So it seems that each of them have been abused in some manner. In side, each of them looks clean and well lubricated. But my 500s spins better on the bench (so far).

edit: Mysticparts shows that the screw assembly is the same #129-200 for both the 500s and the 505 but they sure look different from the inside of the plate. I'll put a couple on my shopping list along with some washers to under the gears of each of my JMs (500, 501, 505, 506).

oc1

If the quick take-apart still works, then count your blessings.

RC4600

I had the same issue, just trusted Mystic (they know their stuff) and ordered the part, installed and like new.
Be careful removing the seat from the sideplate so you don't crack it, go slow and be gentle when you tap it out. RC

mike1010

I had a similar issue, addressed it by filling the hole with epoxy and then re-drilling it.  It's an easy, invisible repair, and it works.