Lingcod Party

Started by the rockfish ninja, August 04, 2021, 09:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I got an invite to get out on the reefs for some more slow pitch jigging, and although the conditions where a little tough with some strong minus tides and ripping currents (the  worst for trying to stay vertical jigging), it seemed to bring out the Lings in force. I was hooked up most of the morning with a bent over SPJ rod on these guys, yet had to really work to get my rockfish limit. Maybe all these predators had them a little skittish.

Shimano Grappler rod
BV300 reel
JM UFO & Williamson Kensaki jigs
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

thorhammer

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

That's dinner for eight!  Since we never hooked up here, I'll have to give you a pass to my new digs.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

wailua boy

El Pescador

TONY!!!!

Com'on Man!!!

You're fishing, and most of us are working,

Try to break out with a smile sometime!!!!   Show us your pearly whites!!!!!

And two very respectable Ling Cods!!!!   Nice Job Buddy Boy!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: El Pescador on August 05, 2021, 01:31:39 AM
\
Try to break out with a smile sometime

That's my game face, I never let my guard down on the water. Fish sense it and if you show any kind of weakness they won't respect you or your presentation.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on August 05, 2021, 02:11:00 AM
Quote from: El Pescador on August 05, 2021, 01:31:39 AM
\
Try to break out with a smile sometime

That's my game face, I never let my guard down on the water. Fish sense it and if you show any kind of weakness they won't respect you or your presentation.
;D    I totally agree with ya....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Hardy Boy

Good fish. Lings like it when the tide is moving ................ at least up here.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gfish

Awesome!
Those Lingers look like they are nice and lean and hungry. Maybe they fight harder, that way. Last time I had the opportunity, they were stuffed and I got a big'un that came up with my hook and the kid's from the other side of the boat. "Pick a number from 1 - 10..." The kid won...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 05, 2021, 03:21:02 PM
Good fish. Lings like it when the tide is moving ................ at least up here.

Cheers:

Todd

Gotta be something to that theory, I hooked up 7x that morning and a party boat fishing next to us put in 42. Maybe the stronger currents make their prey harder to evade them and they go on a frenzy.

Still the conditions were challenging for jigging, had to revert to dropshotting a big grub to finish out my RF limit, shoulder was worn out by noon.

Benni3

Fantastic job man and on jigs,,,,,,, ;D

Ron Jones

Looks tasty, well done!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jurelometer

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on August 05, 2021, 04:39:29 PM
Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 05, 2021, 03:21:02 PM

Cheers:

Todd

Gotta be something to that theory, I hooked up 7x that morning and a party boat fishing next to us put in 42. Maybe the stronger currents make their prey harder to evade them and they go on a frenzy.

Still the conditions were challenging for jigging, had to revert to dropshotting a big grub to finish out my RF limit, shoulder was worn out by noon.

The less streamlined the prey, the more the predator has an advantage in a current, which is sort of obvious.  Less obvious is that greater size also  provides a hydrodynamic advantage.  This goes for all gamefish to varying degrees, and why there is often a good bite at a spot where predators can make passes from protected spots into moving water.

Lingcod have a better chance to run down a nice rotund rockfish in a ripping current, so the rockfish are probably hanging closer to home until the current slows enough to have a better chance of eating than being eaten.   I also usually got my best lingcod numbers when the current was strong, but the rockfish bite was tougher at that time.  Fish may not be that smart, but they are efficient.

-J