White spotted greenling | Hexagrammas stelleri

Started by wailua boy, August 06, 2021, 11:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

Caught in about 5ft of water and made good fish and chips. Caught on 10lb mono

whalebreath

Caught the two biggest Greenlings I ever saw a few weeks ago up in Haida Gwaii-probably should have killed/eaten them the bay was full and no one bothers.

Benni3

Gfish

Great eating fish. Same family as the Lingcod. Places where I've caught a few, they seemed to be territorial loners and not real common as compared to say, rockfish or surf perch.
How's shoulder commin along Wailua boy?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

wailua boy

Quote from: Gfish on August 07, 2021, 05:07:29 PM
Great eating fish. Same family as the Lingcod. Places where I've caught a few, they seemed to be territorial loners and not real common as compared to say, rockfish or surf perch.
How's shoulder commin along Wailua boy?
I'm still side casting, if that tells you anything but overall shoulder is healing and thanks for asking. Hope Kaua'i is treating you well.

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Maxed Out

I agree the best bait for big lings is kelp greenling. They don't have the sharp bones in any of their fins. I'm guessing that's why lings love to eat them. As far as table fair, they are excellent eating.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

the rockfish ninja

Underrated fish, great tasting although a little soft, works best with panko or breadcrumbs, and they make excellent fish stock/dashi.

I've caught a lot of them surfcasting, targeting Cabezon, they inhabit the same areas, and eat a lot of the same things.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.