Hook and release Halibut

Started by gstours, August 07, 2021, 03:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here,s a fun one I was in on where we were using jigs to try to catch some halibuts.   My friend likes these Kodiak Jigs, and does quite well with them,   I,m not sure whay the fish like them so much,  butt they do good for Ken.
  As an invited deckhand I was glat to go along on this day trip in nearby waters.   Ive had some lost and disappointing footage of fun stuff this season and finally got something to share with you folks.
  We were fishing on a shelf in about 160 feet of slack tidewater using some jigs.  It was fun to say the least.    See what  you think.
       From sunny southeast ak.

Crab Pot

That was cool!

Couldn't ask for a better day weather wise.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

David Hall

I was thinking there at the end, This is getting scary, grabbin leaders and tryna get a clean release.  You done good.

gstours

As I was fishing on a friends boat and his jig,   It was his call,  many times we just cutt off the hook.
  It was a challenge and I got lucky, 
I'll post another one soon where I gave up,  after loosing my de hook tool as this fish was even bigger and threw a temper tantrum.😼🎣

akfish

Thanks for releasing that old girl. I've been releasing all halibut over about 50 pounds for a decade or so. As you know, all halibut over 65 pounds are spawning age females. Large halibut are OK to eat but not as tasty as the chickens under 50 pounds. Smaller ones have a lot fewer worms as well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska