Knives

Started by foakes, August 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Quote from: nelz on August 12, 2021, 02:41:39 AM
I'm not really a knife collector, but I picked up this beauty while scouting for old reels. At the time I had no idea what I had, but it looked awesome and was priced right.  ;D

Nelz,
That 531 was recalled due to a poor locking mechanism. Just use it as a slip frame and you'll be fine.

I'm late to the party, and a certified knife nut. As of in I have long discussions concerning the advantages of Boss hardened 420HC vs non drop forged 440c.

The knife I use day in and day out is a Pine Ridge Ridgeline Hunter:
https://www.pineridgeknife.com/ridgeline-hunter.html

As much as I love the knifes size and the way it fits my hand, the truly amazing thing is that Mark is from a family that has made amazing saddles for generations. Real using saddles as well as some stuff in the movies. The sheath of this knife is out of this world. They are cross-draw and so I wear a right handed cross draw as a SOB on the left.

Some of you have seen this knife in Cedros and on the SOA, and you will see it again this year!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 14, 2021, 04:16:46 AMNelz,
That 531 was recalled due to a poor locking mechanism. Just use it as a slip frame and you'll be fine.

Yes sir, you know your knives! I know the full story on this model concerning the Sawby locking mechanism. I would never use it, though, not because I don't trust the lock, but because it's a collector piece. I've been offered $300 for it (sheesh, shoulda taken it, lol). As I understand it, the lock could fail when the knife was being used as a hammer.  ::)

Ron Jones

That's the way I understand it. They figured it out in independent testing, but it is a good test because I know of three individuals who have done it (with different knives,) two that ended up under a surgeon's knife for a cut tendon. One of the guys was hammering on the blade to drive it through a catfish backbone.

I took away their man cards, and told them to let their fathers know they failed.

The man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

pjstevko

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 14, 2021, 06:12:07 PM
That's the way I understand it. They figured it out in independent testing, but it is a good test because I know of three individuals who have done it (with different knives,) two that ended up under a surgeon's knife for a cut tendon. One of the guys was hammering on the blade to drive it through a catfish backbone.

I took away their man cards, and told them to let their fathers know they failed.

The man

That's some funny sh!t right there!

Wompus Cat

I use to have quite a few Knives including a Dealers Display Case Full of over 20 NEW with boxes and sheaths OLD TIMER's
Sold most of my knives and the Display case a few years ago . Got a Few left like this Hand Made Hunting Knife by Parsons

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

ClintB

I met a young feela, Scott Cook, at a gun show, he had a table next to ours. He was in his early 20s and trying to break into the knife making business. He sold a couple but my friend and I ordered a couple custom made from him. I paid Scott 125 for what he would make and send me when he finished, was about a month before I got my knife.

He did very well for himself in the future, designing a one piece titanium frame lock called the Lochsa.
http://www.scottcookknives.com/bench.html

Ron Jones

Mr. Cook did quite a bit of work on that one Clint.

I am especially enamoured with the scales. It takes someone gifted to do them just right. Straight enough to be functional and shaped enough to be packable with enough natural antler to clearly demonstrate that it is organic. Mr. Cook clearly knows something about it.

The Man
Ronald Jones
"

oc1

I not in the same league with you guys.  These are users: Cammilis rigging knife and Kbar Trout and Bird knife.

PacRat

always had a Kbar like that when I was a kid. I lost it in thick willows and never replaced it. It's nice to see yours appears to have stuck with you for a lifetime.

Ron Jones

I dropped my grandfather's Kabar bird & trout off the dock in Oceanside, Ca back in the late 80s. Still feel sick about it. I really enjoy the feel of a stacked leather knife handle. I've had some get nasty in salt water, however.

The Man
Ronald Jones
"

ClintB

I was on the hunt for a nice bird and trout for quite awhile when this one came available in a group buy.

oc1

This is really embarrassing.  I found that Kbar when I lived in an impromptu trailer park in the 70's.  There was a gate you had to open, drive through, them get out and close behind you.  Otherwise the cows would get out.  The gate was a pain but the rent was cheap.

I stopped at the gate and walked off to the side behind a bush to take a leak.  Looked down and I was peeing right on that knife.  Picked it up with two fingers and threw onto the floorboard and it's been with me ever since.

ClintB

Funny thing about that story is that's most likely how it got there!

Ron Jones

Quote from: ClintB on August 15, 2021, 11:11:21 PM
Funny thing about that story is that's most likely how it got there!
Ain't that the truth LOL!!
Ronald Jones
"

ClintB

Bucks 102, appears a bit larger then the Western, but I believe it's their version of a bird and trout knife.