Knives

Started by foakes, August 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClintB

The Al Mar 'Fisher' appropriate to this forum.....

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on August 15, 2021, 11:09:15 PM
This is really embarrassing.  I found that Kbar when I lived in an impromptu trailer park in the 70's.  There was a gate you had to open, drive through, them get out and close behind you.  Otherwise the cows would get out.  The gate was a pain but the rent was cheap.

I stopped at the gate and walked off to the side behind a bush to take a leak.  Looked down and I was peeing right on that knife.  Picked it up with two fingers and threw onto the floorboard and it's been with me ever since.
Your mission in life is great,, ;) that's how you know you are choosing,,,,, :o but that's native Indian talk,,,,,, ;D

Ron Jones

Everyone I know of who has one of those loves them. To me, you lose something. Guess you have to decide why you are doing what your doing. Someone who enjoys those probably also enjoys Lever drag two speed reels, recoil operated pistols and gas operated rifles.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jgp12000

That Al Mar "Fisher" is one pretty knife !

Bill B

So it took me a while, but my son bought me a straight razor.....basically a no name, made in Pakistan, Damascus steel, razor.  About 10 hours later I took the raw steel down to shaving sharpness.  I have never shaved with a straight razor,  but willing to try with this one....so if you don't hear from me for a while, I might be in the hospital with a severed jugular vein 😁....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

philaroman

Pakistani surgical & tool steel can be an excellent value
some of my best dirt-cheap, no-name stuff
(no knives -- hemostats, manual can openers, etc.)

Bill B

I was digging through some drawers and came across this Case XX Changer lock back knife.  On my 15 year anniversary (1986) with the Retail Clerks Union I was given the choice of awards and of course I picked this.  You can change out the blades by fully depressing the lock back and choose whatever blade best suits your need.  With solid brass bolsters and jigged bone handle it is not a light weight.  The blade lockup is as solid as my Buck 110 folder.  Today's prices for this knife is pretty steep, but considering I had given 15 years of service to the retail industry, a small price.  When I left state service after 25 years all I got was a clock, and still haven't received it after 7 months. But that's another story......Bill

Maxed Out

Bill, what else you got hiding in that drawer ??

Your "drawer" story reminded me that I have one in a drawer. Not as nice as those fancy ones posted here, but it's all I got. It's locally made thru friend of a friend. The handle is bone. The engraving is kinda nifty too. it comes to life when I hold it up to a mirror
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

That is a beautiful knife Ted.....I have a few others but nothing as nice as yours...Bill

the rockfish ninja

I've never been a collector, especially not big fixed blades, reminds me of basic training >:(, keep a few to get things done, that's about it. But I've always kept around this giant hunting knife I got years ago, it's the Godzilla of blades, the blade alone is over 9". You could take out a young bear or an inexperienced Puma with this thing. A friend who's a steel nerd pointed out that it's a "first generation USA made Cold Steel trailmaster......" So I go and research it and find it's kind of a collectors item and worth a few bucks, but now after looking at all this knife stuff I've got the bug myself. Just ordered a couple to start out my collection, I sense a rabbit hole.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Ron Jones

I would give a piece of my anatomy that violates the 12 year old rule (the left one) for that blade. It was one of the first production knives to exceed $100.00 back in the 80s and was worth every penny. They have recently released a version in SV3 (costs more than many 2 speed lever drags) and I want one SO BAD. It is one of my favorites. That flat grind on a big blade trips my trigger.

I'd keep it forever if I were you.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

happyhooker

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 08, 2021, 02:21:03 AM
So it took me a while, but my son bought me a straight razor.....basically a no name, made in Pakistan, Damascus steel, razor.  About 10 hours later I took the raw steel down to shaving sharpness.  I have never shaved with a straight razor,  but willing to try with this one....so if you don't hear from me for a while, I might be in the hospital with a severed jugular vein 😁....Bill

Talk about living dangerously!

Frank

Ron Jones

Quote from: happyhooker on January 01, 2022, 05:34:28 PM
Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on September 08, 2021, 02:21:03 AM
So it took me a while, but my son bought me a straight razor.....basically a no name, made in Pakistan, Damascus steel, razor.  About 10 hours later I took the raw steel down to shaving sharpness.  I have never shaved with a straight razor,  but willing to try with this one....so if you don't hear from me for a while, I might be in the hospital with a severed jugular vein 😁....Bill

Talk about living dangerously!

Frank
What is it Deep Purple said?
"it's not the kill, it's the thrill of the shave :)" (Had to)

The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Benni3

Alot of fantastic knives here ,,,,,,, :o I got my girlfriend a knife for Christmas,,,,,, :) $26 + shipping = $50 from Japan,,,,but for dicing,,,,, ;) oh man it does the trick,,,,, ;D