Knives

Started by foakes, August 07, 2021, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

A Dad's or Gramps bottom of the tool box type of find.  "M. KLEIN & SONS" "CHICAGO".
Absolutely nothing fancy, not even a name on the handle, but seems well made. A nice brass blade lock and the bottom 2/3rds of the screwdriver blade is sharpened for...scraping?
Gotta try and clean it up.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Nice old knife, Greg —

That is an Electricians knife.

Klein is a good name in quality tools.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I had one of those growing up Greg, my grandfather taught me a lot abut wiring with it. The Scooped out edge of the tool blade is for stripping insulation, the sharp edge of the tool blade is for cutting material that you did not want to pierce with the spear pint blade, and the spear point blade is for normal knife use.

They were designed for the old ceramic insulated 2 wire systems, not as relevant now but still a top quality tool.

I put Klein right up there with the current SK Wayne, hard to beat.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brewcrafter

Thanks for the explanation Ron, I was trying to figure out looking at the photo how it worked! . john

Ron Jones

Your welcome, John

Greg, I am almost certain that isn't stainless steel. You can get that bit of corrosion to go away, but it won't go "shiney" without a lot of needless work.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Brewcrafter

They were designed for the old ceramic insulated 2 wire systems, not as relevant now but still a top quality tool.

The Man
[/quote]
And I totally know what Ron is talking about when he says "ceramic wiring".  First house I shared with my wife was built in the 20's (the 1920's, that is - not today) and had what was also called "tube and post".  For you youngsters, think bare wires running through your walls and attic but whenever they are anchored (ceramic post nailed into something) or go through a structural member (ceramic tube going through a 2x4) you have ceramics as an insulator.  Circuit breakers?  What are those?  That old house had screw in fuses (we kept a box in the kitchen).  And NO, I never used a penny to bypass them! - john