"Evening Fishing Secret"

Started by jgp12000, August 08, 2021, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Years ago I saw and ad for the "Evening Fishing Secret" researched/discovered it was a $200 green fishing light. I wasn't about to pay that, so I found a green light at the local Academy Sports for 20 bucks. I have tried it maybe 5 times over the years until it recently started leaking. I never really saw it do anything better than a regular floating light does. I have heard great reviews on the Bo-Jo lights that attract bugs and knock them back into the water but has anyone seen a green submersible light make night fishing any better?

https://bo-jofishlight.com/

philaroman

somebody MUST have early Cabela's catalogs w/ $200 "Black Box"
that allegedly concentrated the "good pos. ions" around your boat,
prob., a repackaged sacrificial anode so you could see it corrode & know it's "working"  ::)

jgp12000

yep, like most lures catch more fisherman, than fish...

oc1

Light will attract plankton, plankton will attract bait, bait will attract something else.  I don't know that it needs to be green though.  Green light sticks is what they use for swordfishing.

smnaguwa

Interestingly, there have been experiments on the effect of light color and fish behavior. It seems green light cause flounder to be more active and in is used in fish farms in Japan. It accelerates fish feeding and thus growth. Not sure how it works in sportsfishing.

philaroman

pets/farmed can be misleading -- they don't have the option to go elsewhere
maybe the green makes farmed aggro, 'cause they're stuck w/ it

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on August 08, 2021, 06:47:25 PM
Light will attract plankton, plankton will attract bait, bait will attract something else.  I don't know that it needs to be green though.  Green light sticks is what they use for swordfishing.
lights attracts bugs,,,,,, ;) at night we fish off a bridge that the street lights shrines right into the water and the fish set there,,,,, 8) waiting for something to come downstream into the light or a bug to hit the water,,,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

WHITE light attracts bugs
BLUE, much less
RED, almost nothing
not sure about green
(skeeters/ticks don't count -- they'll find you w/ NO light...  CO2?)

handi2

At my home I had two Deep Glow underwater green lights. They attract all the baitfish. You can catch all of the Specked Sea Trout you could ever want.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jurelometer

Doubt that swordfish have green cones  (color specific receptors) in their eyes.  So green light will be picked up by the rods (general purpose receptors), which  pick up blue to green light the most efficiently in most species.

In terms of effectiveness of glow in the dark pigments- that common greenish color we all see is the brightest longest, and cheapest, hence the popularity for glow sticks.   I have no idea why a green electric light would be beneficial at  swordfish  depths.  Maybe people are just used to using green light sticks.

In terms of lighting from above the surface, different color lights will be filtered out better depending on what is in the water.   Pure clear water will be colorless until it gets deeper, and then will get progressively bluer (the other colors get absorbed first). Water that appears green under daylight is reflecting a greater share of green light than normal, meaning less green light is penetrating.  Waters that are brown are reflecting more reds, and so on...

For night fishing near the surface of a freshwater lake, river, or pond,  a green light is a "better" product.  If a standard white light was used, nobody would need a specialized magic fishing light :)  And  green light is in the sweet spot for eyesight efficiency  in  shallow water bait and predator species. So might as well use green if you are not using white.

I would be curious if Keith or others have seen a difference in effectiveness of green vs white dock or underwater lights in the shallows where you can see what is going on.

Fish vision is pretty fascinating stuff.  Not trained in it, but as a fly fisherman I rely on what the fish can see to get a bite.  I read everything I can get my hands on on the subject.

-J

oc1

The reds are filtered out first.  Red usually looks black to a fish.  They use red light to observe night time behavior in fish.

We used to take an automotive head light, connect leads to a 12v battery and let the light float on the water surface.  After about thirty minutes little plankton creatures would be swarming around it.  After a couple of hours you could see the gamefish hanging in the shadows just outside the beam of light.