Found an old Fenwick Rod

Started by foakes, September 03, 2021, 09:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Labor Day Weekend in California —

Every National Forest in California closed due to fire issues.

We don't go out of town for most Holiday weekends anyway — because the idea for us — is to get away from the crowds.

So...

Today, tomorrow, and Sunday afternoon — I am doing another sort, reducing clutter, and getting rid of stuff hat has been stored for years and I will never use —

Started on the upstairs outside shops — second story/loft rod storage, the storage container, and the outer reel shop.

Behind a few hundred rods — I found the top piece to a Fenwick rod.

Almost just tossed it into the trash bin — then realized it was not a top piece — it was a complete FS 50 5' ultralight 2 piece Fenwick — in perfect condition!!

Well...now the dilemma will be — which reel to mount on this neat little rod?

Mitchell 308/408, Penn 716/714, 420SS, Cardinal 3, Daiwa Mini-Mite, 500C, 700C, 1000C, or DQ 265, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001?

Might have to try them all across the road at one of the ponds.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Lucky you, that's a nice find!   8)  Way too many reels to choose from, though!  ;D  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Stan

Do you have an old school 720/722?  I had a similar rod back in the day with a 722

philaroman

SWEET...  is that a later Taiwan Classic Glass, or rare US-made w/ ceramics?

foakes

Quote from: Stan on September 03, 2021, 09:59:56 PM
Do you have an old school 720/722?  I had a similar rod back in the day with a 722

Yes, I have both of those, Stan — but they are a little large — so I prefer the 716, 714, or 420SS on these light rods.

My first choice for balance, above target performance, and durability would be a DQ 1001, 1000, a DQ 265 Microlite, or a Penn 716 Greenie.  Everything else will work well also — I just like the feel and balance of these reels on this rod.

Don't know, Philaroman —

It appears to be a second generation chocolate with ceramic guides — it does not have a country of origin label.  But I have Fenwick rods in the early Honeybee gold, old chocolate with cork and snake eyes, this version, and the Taiwan versions.

It s a nice rod with no scratches, plus all threads and guides intact.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

I purposely went after Fenwick fiberglass when I was searching for fly rods.  I bet that 5 footer is gonna be a kick.

If you really want to have fun take it saltwater fishing for live bait. yeehaw. Macks will have you grinning quick.

Don't you love it when you rediscover a toy?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PacRat

"Macks will have you grinning quick."

After my dad discovered Cabo he was just ruined as a fresh water fisherman. He would fall asleep and I would yell,"Pops WAKE UP...you've got a bite!" To which he would reply."My bait is bigger than this."

steelfish

Fred, thats a nice treasure find.

I think I have the next size model of the same rod, it was given to me by a good friend that used it long time ago fishing for trout in USA, he told me that he would never use that rod in saltwater

The Baja Guy

philaroman

looks like really early (1st gen.?) "lime-lined" Fuji
guessing US-made early Fen. Graphite
might have collectors' value, as nice as it looks

happyhooker

It's a brown rod; you don't wanna put a black reel on that, do you?  How about a little color coordination?  You might get by with a Penn greenie, but how about something in a Daiwa 7000 series?  Mostly came in dark brown or metallic tan; they musta had an ultralight or 2 in that series.

Frank