I'll admit I was stumped

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 15, 2021, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

My wife just said rod building is like knitting for dudes.

I got nothing. And thats rare.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Hardy Boy

I thought that was fly tying !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

philaroman

friend's wife saw me play my plano w/ wide assortment of hooks & terminal stuff
said just little girls in bracelet-making stage w/ beads & clasps & whatnot
true enough, but they just like to pick on us, 'cause they can't make their own shoes  :o :o :o

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 15, 2021, 06:15:27 PM

save that one: "Honey, you're just mad 'cause you can't make the exact shoes you want!"  :P

Aiala

If the gals ever became seriously interested (not likely, I know) they could learn to fashion rods that would equal anything the fellows build.  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

philaroman

no "if"...  pretty sure, back in the day most commercial hand-wrapping was done by women -- both, rods & flies

steelfish

well, nothing to worry or to feel your manhood is in problem.
there are wraps that require a lot of skills to make them, a lot of patience also thats why I find rod building a relaxing hobby/sidejob, a lot of criss cross patterns to make some admirable designs, some guys even play with 10-30 or more threads to make incredible images on buttwraps, but what you wife said only applies to the thread wrapping part

check this SARAPE  (mexican blank) fishing rod wrap, "sarape blanks" are normally knitted by mexican natives women so, both having the same design no wonder someone might think wrapping both is the same thing.

olivebranch wrap also will have you twisting threads here and there and there, passing it one time, then 2 times then use the other color 2 times, them one time, etc, so, yes, its like knitting  ;D ;D

I always said to friends that my prices will rise soon because Im not longer just wrap guides, now Im doing an artisanal work to their rods  :D :D ;)
The Baja Guy

foakes

Here are a few photos of the German DAM Quick Factory in 1953.

Mostly women.  Very skilled women.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 15, 2021, 06:15:27 PM
My wife just said rod building is like knitting for dudes.

Make sure she has all the hanks of wool she wants and any new knitting needles that she needs.  8)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jurelometer

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 15, 2021, 06:36:10 PM

Cheers:

Todd

I propose that it maps like this:

rod wrapping = knitting
fly tying =  jewelry making
lure making = cake decoration

As long as we pretend it is in the pursuit of a rugged bloodsport, we can do all the pretty crafting we want with minimal insecurity ;D

But just to be safe, I try to give all me fly designs macho names like "Merchant of Death " and not something that could be a perfume name like "Rose Obsession"

I am off to paint some nice princess pink deadly-fluoro flatfalls now.

-J

thorhammer

I think I recall Aiala has some mother-of-pearl type earrings that match a Cortez multi-color jigmaster.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: jurelometer on September 15, 2021, 10:50:34 PM
Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 15, 2021, 06:36:10 PM

Cheers:

Todd

I propose that it maps like this:

rod wrapping = knitting
fly tying =  jewelry making
lure making = cake decoration

As long as we pretend it is in the pursuit of a rugged bloodsport, we can do all the pretty crafting we want with minimal insecurity ;D

But just to be safe, I try to give all me fly designs macho names like "Merchant of Death " and not something that could be a perfume name like "Rose Obsession"

I am off to paint some nice princess pink deadly-fluoro flatfalls now.

-J

I will have to add one more to Todd and Dave - Lace Making.  Now, two things - firstly my sister is a very accomplished at making bobbin lace.   And as a fisherman, I'm have been known to get into a tangle or two.  And the last time I was in a big one the deckhand was working 4 rods and passing them around and around and through each other just like watching my sister twisting bobbins, and pretty quick he ended up handing each of us our rods and we were all untangled and free to go back to fighting fish. - john

oldmanjoe

Try net tying ,it`s like crocheting
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on September 15, 2021, 11:02:08 PM
I think I recall Aiala has some mother-of-pearl type earrings that match a Cortez multi-color jigmaster.

I sure do, John... made by my jeweler from some pieces that Dwight gave me when he built my Seeker Athena.  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

Yes- that was it! I think they matched PJ's 501.