Sport shrimp 🦐 ing

Started by gstours, August 09, 2021, 04:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

One of the things that sometimes is rewarding is soaking some shrimp pots,  as you can use the earlier fish heads and Gluck for bait.  If you're going out on the boat anyway it's almost a natural thing to do,   Especially if you cannot buy shrimp 🍤 here where I live.
Below is a pot that I made,  fishes pretty good, not real heavy,  and the catch of one potion a 4 day soak.

gstours

These traps/pot can be individually placed or on a long line with several and a single bouy.   When an area is located that provides some catching more pots are generally added.   We have a limit of ten per person and this is very generous.    Butt we also have a small population of people here ....
It's a fun work, and dirtys up a boat,  we fish them at 150- 250 feet deep,  so a mechanical line hauler is your friend.      Thanks for watching.     Now on to making a white sauce.🍤😹

foakes

Thanks for showing us that, Gary —

They look delicious!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Hardy Boy

Nice haul of big Humpbacks !! I like them better than spot prawns as they are sweeter. We used to get them like that North of Rupert. Good eats.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

David Hall

Spotted prawns, one of my favourites.  I've been playing with the idea in my head to set up a string. Here I'd have to fish 6-900 ft. Minimum.  I got the puller for the job, just need to get some pots.  I love me some shrimp.  Especially on the BBQ.  Mmmmmmm few things are tastier.  Good to see you getting some.

Crab Pot

Nice report.

I have 4 shrimp pots that I bought off Craigslist for $25 each.

I didn't know anything about shrimp fishing then and I still don't know how to.

I know some local folks shrimp fish out of Monterey Bay but they aren't in any hurry to teach or give up their spots.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

oc1

My brother-in-law in Anchorage decided to become a shrimper during the pandemic.  He bought the commercial license, a hydraulic pot puller and a string of old pots.  He was doing OK with it, but found out how much work and drudgery there is in commercial fishing.  Now he's back to flying a desk.