No longer frustrated with a bearing order

Started by JasonGotaProblem, August 10, 2021, 11:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

They probably read the Good reviews that were posted here  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

All's well that ends well. Hopefully more than one lesson wasn't learned on this ordeal.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rancanfish

I gotta say, not too many crooks looking to score just a dollar.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jgp12000

I recently bought 3 reels on ebay that claimed to be "ready to fish" but were fixer uppers. I have never left but one other negative feedback . This jackwagon never responded to me about the reel condition until after I left the negative feedback. Then all of a sudden he was concerned. He had my money, and could care less until I left negative feedback. I told him he was lucky for me to respond to him at all.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 12, 2021, 11:49:31 PM

True but they all gotta start somewhere  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 12, 2021, 11:49:31 PM
The following commentary is not relative to this specific instance where the $1 product was defective, not a scam. But I gotta say, a counterpoint to that is that the easiest way to turn a scam into a long term profit is to make the individual victims' losses small enough that it's not worth the effort of pursuing.

There's a lot of products for sale that the seller knows for a fact is worthless, but they make a killing selling it because return shipping is comparable to the purchase price of what's being returned. If i gotta pay $4 to ship back something that cost $5 the trip to the post office will take up more than $1 worth of my time. People just chalk it up as a lesson learned and the grift continues.

Tow truck companies in my area violate florida law on a daily basis, by cruising around apartment complexes looking for a car with a flat tire or expired tag, when by law they're supposed to wait for a complaint from property manager. In fact some have been observed popping people's tires on slow nights. but trying to bring any consequences against them would cost a lot more time and effort (AND $$$) to fight them in the name of what's good and decent. So while many fantasize about getting revenge and bringing down the whole corrupt system, many end up just paying their $200 to the person who stole their car, and driving away grumpily.

There is a company here in Tampa advertising nice apartment rentals for crazy good rent prices in this insane market. Theres a $20 application fee, which is fully refundable, but only in the first 3 days. Well the apartment doesn't exist. The address is a fake # on a real street. And they just don't respond to emails until after 3 days, so no fees are getting refunded. Now if they were accepting $800 security deposits and pulling this stunt, they would have been shut down by now. But at $20 lost most people just write an angry review on google and move on with their day with $20 less to their name. I saw this while i was looking for a new place. Thankfully something smelled fishy so I did some googling before applying.

There are so very many more examples of this.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rancanfish

Ok. I wasn't talking about tow truck companies or apartment rentals either so what is 'relative' only applies if you say so? 

If you don't want to hear opinions, don't offer up yours. Simple solution to a non problem.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 13, 2021, 04:18:59 PM
Ok. I wasn't talking about tow truck companies or apartment rentals either so what is 'relative' only applies if you say so? 

If you don't want to hear opinions, don't offer up yours. Simple solution to a non problem.
I was merely commenting on an aspect of the concept. Making a counterpoint and using unrelated examples on a very generalized comment should not imply that I didn't want to hear or don't appreciate you sharing your opinion.

So because i was apparently unclear, I'll start over. Thank you for contributing to the discussion, but I disagree with your position, for the reasons stated above in the first paragraph, and I'll use the following paragraphs to share completely unrelated examples I've seen firsthand that support my position. And i apologize if I worded it in a way that made my intent unclear.

Rancanfish

Thanks for that.  But my comment was off the cuff, and really I have not taken a position. This is a reel repair site and I'm here for the fun and sometimes challenge of reel repair, so welcome to the site, too.  I'm not further inclined to debate the merits of statements when I come here for my interest in reel repair.

P.S. But reading your response I wanted to say I admire your debating ability. You are well spoken. So I will defer to others that would enjoy a debate. Not really my forte.

Gfish

"Weiiiil, then, I's not to well speakin, but I gots ta put sometin down bout mah speriences."😜

Ordered  a classic spincaster NIB. Guy selling it was in Finland. Nice box with typical wear, reel looked perfect on the outside. This dude was good at giving himself little "outs" with his wording; ""probably" never been used". When it finally came, with extra shipping costs, a twist of the spool/rotor cover and yeah, spool 1/2 full of old lookin line. Some slight rub marks on the rotor and pick-up pin from line winding. I waited on giving him a bad review and emailed him about it. I used words like; irresponsible, kinda deceptive, please check something easy like this out first, before misleading me, etc., etc.

Guy wrote back with an apology, and that I could get a refund. Ok, that was cool. So, I thought he might have access to lots of those Abu reels as he belonged to some collectors/fishing club. I asked him try'n get me a tool, and the owners manual, and we could call it good. One positive email back form him about a search... Then nothing, despite repeated emails back from me. I think he just waited me out.

This happens too often on eBay descriptions. I'd be willing to pay a little extra for honesty, I think. You know, make a exception for small things as long as there is complete disclosure. How can you miss something like that, unless...

I watched a good u-tube from Canada about those tow-truck scammers. They scan the air waves for accidents and can show-up even before the police. Once the scam company gets the vehicle on their lot, the storage charges start piling-up.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 13, 2021, 05:06:34 PM
Thanks for that.  But my comment was off the cuff, and really I have not taken a position. This is a reel repair site and I'm here for the fun and sometimes challenge of reel repair, so welcome to the site, too.  I'm not further inclined to debate the merits of statements when I come here for my interest in reel repair.

P.S. But reading your response I wanted to say I admire your debating ability. You are well spoken. So I will defer to others that would enjoy a debate. Not really my forte.

Hey man, we're all family here. I enjoy your posts and appreciate your input. I realize my reply came across kinda sarcastic and that wasnt intentional. I hope all is going well with the move.