Sitka AK 4-7 Aug '21 Outbound Alaska Charters

Started by Wally15, August 11, 2021, 10:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

My 1st fishing trip to Alaska. Another one crossed off the bucket list.
Went with Rich Gunderson (Scrinch), his brother Eric, and h&w Woody and Kathie.
Outbound Alaska Charters is a well organized operation. Lodging, meals, and fish processing are all conveniently located adjacent to the boat docks. And 5 min from the airport.
Boats are well designed and well maintained. 34' Cold Water custom aluminum w/ twin 300 Yammies. Supplied equipment is good, G Loomis rods, Takota 500 HGLC's for salmon, electrics for Halibut, etc. They do need to upgrade the Takota drags to greased CF.
Weather was decent. Partly cloudy to cloudy with some light rain about 1/2 the time. Wind 5-8K until last days 10-15K, which happened to be our best fishing day. Big temp change from S GA. High 90's to mid 60's.
Fishing was good. Kings were out of season, Lings were limited to 1 per person per YEAR, Silvers (Coho) (5 per day) were slow initially, then we limited out in about an hour the last day. Halibut were plentiful but only 1 per day. Rock cod were very plentiful, only 3 per day. 3 or 4 drops got you your limit of those.
Excellent fish processing and packaging into well sealed 50 lb boxes. I bought 100 lbs home. $220 for 3 bags. Still frozen after 18 hours in transit.
OAC is a bit pricey, around $4K plus tips, plus $1K airfare from ATL. Flew Alaska Air to Sitka, Delta back to ATL.
Sitka is an awesome fishery. I'd rank this trip in my personal top ten. I'd rate OAC about a 4.7 on a 5 scale, which is high praise for me.
I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story.
GA Mike

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

thorhammer

Keta

Nice. 

I always liked my twice a year visits to Sitka when I worked for the AMHS, for a "big city" Sitka was nice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Hardy Boy

Mike : Did you miss the mooching reels ?? ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

scrinch

Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 11, 2021, 03:25:10 PM
Mike : Did you miss the mooching reels ?? ;D

Cheers:

Todd

He was complaining the whole time that his knuckles didn't get skinned up enough using those Tekotas!  ;)

Hardy Boy

I believe it Scrinch ! Its one thing or another ! ;)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Wally15

Quote from: Hardy Boy on August 11, 2021, 05:00:34 PM
I believe it Scrinch ! Its one thing or another ! ;)

Cheers:

Todd

I resemble that remark!  ::) ::)

Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Benni3

Great trip my friend,,,,,, ;) i know tou guys had fun,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3