Any Current "REAL" Fish Reports out of San Diego?

Started by Crab Pot, August 12, 2021, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

I leave on the Pacific Voyager August 27th on a 4 day.

Don't know if we're fishing US or Mexican waters yet but wanted to see if any AT guys have their fingers on the pulse.

Don't always trust the Landings fish counts.

Anyone local?
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Bill B

Really can't offer anything more than take a high level approach to the fish counts, and maybe do a little research on what the boats doing 3-4 days are catching....a lot can change overnight but you will have an idea...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

In all probability THEY don't even know where they will be fishing.  Everything is so "all over the place".  But part of your question   Re: Mexican Waters: if you don't have a passport get one - you never know!  - john

MarkT

Mark and crew are great. I had a 2 1/2 day trip over Memorial Day weekend. The Pac Voyager is my favorite short range boat!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Crab Pot

Cost of the boat ride includes the Mexican license and Visa, if we don't use it like last year it goes to the deckhands for fish processing and tips.

Been watching the 3-4 day reports.

Don't fully trust the landing website reports.

Crab Pot

Mark, Dominik, Mitch, Coz, Cody, and the red headed night captain (sorry I can't remember his name) are AWESOME!

pjstevko

I leave Sunday on a 1.5 day trip and then "stay" on the boat for the 3 day immediately afterwards so I'll give you some intel after I get back....

I think the landing fish counts are close to accurate but might be inflated by 10%.....

You can also check 976tuna.com

Crab Pot

Quote from: pjstevko on August 12, 2021, 03:21:02 AM
I leave Sunday on a 1.5 day trip and then "stay" on the boat for the 3 day immediately afterwards so I'll give you some intel after I get back....

I think the landing fish counts are close to accurate but might be inflated by 10%.....

You can also check 976tuna.com

That would be great!

enfish

Most of the 1-3 day boats have been going north the past couple weeks fishing bluefin. The fish have been close to the coast (~10 miles off the beach) in Orange County waters. But they seemed to have moved up the back side of Catalina Island the last couple of days.

I've been out a couple times in my boat. No lack of fish, but getting them to eat something with a hook in it has been challenging. I've never seen so much bluefin foaming seemingly everywhere. Most are the 50-80 lb size from what I saw. The last one I hooked got immediately run over by another boat that didn't know how to fish foamers very well and sawed me off.

Crab Pot

Thanks OnoEric, the west side of Catalina is where we went the year before last. Big fish but only a few came over the rail.

We crushed them at Cortez and Tanner Banks last year.

pjstevko

Crab Pot

That is a cool website.

Couldn't find the PV but I know it's out there.

Thanks,.

sciaenops

I'll be on a 2.5d Aug 23-26 so hit me up if you want our report. The fleet will follow the fish, wherever they may be headed. This time of year the outer banks (Tanner & Cortes) are a good bet for a multi day, but the fish maybe closer like on or even inside the ridge running between 182 & 209. If you download a boat chasing app like Marine Traffic, you can get a good idea where the sporties are fishing pretty much in real time.

Good luck!

alantani

just got off a 1.5 day on the new lo-an.  the fish were close (40 miles) and small (20-40 pounds).  200 gram knife jigs and #4 ringed j hooks were the ticket.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: alantani on August 15, 2021, 04:00:43 PM
just got off a 1.5 day on the new lo-an.  the fish were close (40 miles) and small (20-40 pounds).  200 gram knife jigs and #4 ringed j hooks were the ticket.

One, how light did you have to go on your fluorocarbon leaders for fly lining to get bit consistently?