Any Current "REAL" Fish Reports out of San Diego?

Started by Crab Pot, August 12, 2021, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Well I leave on Friday.

Reports from Seaforth Landing aren't great for larger class fish but they are crushing the footballs and and sub-60-pound fish.

Lots of Yellowtail coming over the rails as well but nothing big. 15-25 pound class fish.

My boat pulled Mexican visas and licenses for the current trip they are on so I have a good idea where we're going.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Crabpot - I feel for you, but things at this time are "up in the air".  Why?  It's fishing!  But you're not looking for smart #### answers, so I apologize, but one of the things that I think (only my opinion) that is/was shaking things up was the tropical storm/hurricane that started down off of Baja last couple weeks, and headed out into the Pacific.  What does that have to do with fishing this week?  Well, over the weekend SoCal beaches had some pretty big surf and got HAMMERED (a coworker was down at the Newport Wedge - pretty serious (for SoCal) wave action).  And that was on top of some serious tides.  Bottom line is that a LOT of water has been getting moved around.  Not only will it do fun things to a Terrafin Chart, it affects all of the things that have brought the fish we are seeking here in first place - forage (bait).  Looking at AIS the boats are all still hanging out in the spots that they have been, but that only means that is where the fish are, not necessarily that they want to play!  And there is not a lot you can do about that, but try to fish your best.  Also, watching the regular reports from Evernham, bait can be kind of variable.  Some days they are reporting firecracker 'dines and other days the nice 6" stuff, and they are out there doing their best to grab what the gamefish are focused on (and supply and insanely voracious sportfishing fleet as well as all the private boaters and skiffs).  Good luck!  I'm expecting some pretty cool photos, I think you will be OK! - john

Crab Pot

Fingers crossed, hope to have some good stories next week.

Thanks for the weather info Brewcrafter.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

sciaenops

returned from a 2.5 day yesterday that fished bft nw and west of Clemente on Tue & Wed.  We had great weather, maybe too good to go with coming off the FM, as the bite was very tough, almost non-existent.  For us anyway, a couple boats (PQ, Outrider) fishing our zone did better.  Had to drop to 20/25# just to get a bite. Flatfalling just after dark got a little more action on fish up to 60# - no real rhyme or reason to jig size/color, just get it to right depth at right time.

Today (Fri) looks like fleet is split between the bft zone in US waters (see above) and south in Mexican waters I assume looking for kelps that are still holding dorado & yt. Like previous poster said, be ready for anything!  Good luck!!