New Holland 451 Sickle Mower

Started by jgp12000, August 12, 2021, 09:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I use a New Holland 451 Sickle Mower to cut around my pond and it has worked great. The knife recently broke and I have 2 spare knives, I just wondered if there are any tractor guys here that have ever had to do this? It seems simple enough, but just the arduous task of removing all the blade guards or is there a shortcut, call it lazy or not, I am for working smarter not harder...

Crow

Here's a link to a manual......the cutter bar will slide out , after you remove the retaining bolt (bolts ? not sure, as I've never worked on a NH)

https://ia801209.us.archive.org/31/items/new_holland_model_NH_451_sickle_mower_owners_manual/new_holland_model_NH_451_sickle_mower_owners_manual_text.pdf
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

jgp12000

swede 53

Remove the head bolt and you can rotate the drive arms out of the way, I put a small piece of rope or twine through the head and pull it out. It will most likely catch a number of times and you will have to find where it's caught, I usually use a piece of wood to push down on it. You may have to loosen the hold down clips and watch your fingers.

jgp12000

I ended up removing all the guards and replacing all the plow bolts and nuts, it works great now. I found a good video on the 451,this guy has some good videos not so much nonsense talk just info on the subject at hand. It made me on the look out for some RR track to smash rivets.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !