2 Old Reels!

Started by Reeltyme, August 12, 2021, 02:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Update: So the outfits have been given to the Mrs. for her birthday. I created a photo diary of the evolution of the reels from their arrival at my shop to their completion. I also did a 2 page write up of a little history of the reels with help from the Penn guru Mr. Mike C. The gentleman that performed the rod restoration added his photos as well. The Mrs., as reported from her husband, was overcome with emotion. I think we "done good!" As the gentleman that performed the rod restoration didn't take the best pictures of the before and after product, the photos I have are not the best. Also, given the beginning condition of the rods, which was unbelievably bad, I think they turned out beautifully although not historically accurate. Attached are a few photos of the rods before and after as well as the completed outfits. I will have to say, it was a "reel" pleasure to work on this project. One I will always remember. Thanks for allowing me to post this little story.

Swami805

Wow those rods came out nice! Beautiful looking wood.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Very nice end result. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous time capsules

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Great Job on all of you and the Family has something for Remembrance.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oldmanjoe

Those stick came out beautiful .   I like the thread work .   But i got to ask , is there a roller top up side down  ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sabaman1

The rods look outstanding and the choice of colors for the vintage looking thread is just incredible, great job!!!

JIM

oc1

They cleaned up well.  She's a lucky woman.  Is the one on the bottom hickory?

Reeltyme

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 14, 2021, 03:37:35 AM
    Those stick came out beautiful .   I like the thread work .   But i got to ask , is there a roller top up side down  ?
I chuckle that you mention that. I noticed it the first time I saw the rod. The rod maker glued it on with an apoxy. Came out to check it later, saw what he had done and went back inside and poured a drink.

As for the type of wood on the bottom stick, just don't know for sure. When I first saw it, it was grey and falling apart!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on October 14, 2021, 07:44:12 AM
They cleaned up well.  She's a lucky woman.  Is the one on the bottom hickory?
I think they both hickory   One being a Royal Hickory and the other a Scion .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Reeltyme

Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 14, 2021, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: oc1 on October 14, 2021, 07:44:12 AM
They cleaned up well.  She's a lucky woman.  Is the one on the bottom hickory?
I think they both hickory   One being a Royal Hickory and the other a Scion .
The one is a Bimini King, Tycoon Rod. It is the one with the 16/0 on it done in red and black. The other?

oc1

The Tycoon looked like a bamboo quad to me, but it's difficult to tell in photos.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on October 15, 2021, 05:17:49 AM
The Tycoon looked like a bamboo quad to me, but it's difficult to tell in photos.
It is built like a  Bimini King , Just hard to see the Bamboo character in the sides .

JasonGotaProblem

Wouldn't actually do it, but my evil side is thinking "Oh and I went ahead and put the part numbers on the reels for you."
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rothmar2

Absolutely stunning work all round!