Zebco Spincast Reel

Started by tarpon one, July 27, 2021, 03:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oc1 on July 28, 2021, 02:24:59 AM
Quote from: happyhooker on July 27, 2021, 11:42:53 PM
Zebco spincasters, as well as older spinning reels, were not only decent, but actually pretty good.

These days, it sort of an insult to have not been taken over by Pure Fishing.  

There was a story about a Fishing tournament back in the Day and first Prize was a Zebco 202.

Second Prize was  2 Zebco 202's.................

I told that on ORCa and Zebco Guy  got ticked  ....lol

I have at least a hundred or so  of them and use them quite often always have so I feel I can joke about them .

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Brewcrafter

Kudo's to keeping an old Zebco going and passing it along to the next generation.  I learned to fish on one, both of my kids caught their first fish on the same one, and getting kids (even big kids) started in fishing is a good thing. - john

tarpon one

Really not an exaggeration to say this little Zebco and a little boy changed my life.
Twenty plus years ago I joined the Big Brothers organization and became a Big Brother to a young boy named Danny. Danny was one of thirteen children and came from a troubled family. His mother and father were addicted to drugs and his father was in jail. Danny and I met once a week and each week I'd try to introduce him to things he had never done before. We played baseball, golf and did academic things (which he hated). School was not his strong suit. He didn't know how to read so every road sign we saw was a learning experience. He wanted a bicycle, which I could have easily bought him, but we purchased with his money only after he saved enough from cutting grass.
For his sixth grade graduation he said he wanted a fishing rod and reel. I knew absolutely nothing about fishing but went to Dicks and bought him a Zebco Red Rhino outfit. The next day we went to a local lake and I stood on the bank behind him while he caught some largemouth bass. Looked like fun so the very next day I bought a fishing license and my very first rod and reel. I also bought a book on knots because neither one of us knew how to tie a knot and the fish we were catching kept getting away. Our once a week meetings turned into multiple weekly trips to the lake. We'd fish from the shoreline but I'd always look at those guys in boats and think they were able to access the entire lake, not just twenty feet of shoreline. That fall I purchased my first boat. It was a brand new 18 foot Lund with a 90hp Evinrude two stroke that smoked like crazy. I added a 9.9 kicker and off we went. We found a bigger inland lake with stripers and walleye and now our knots were put to the test. Those stripers fought like crazy and those walleyes sure tasted good.
The next year I also bought a condo in SWFL and a 26 ft. Pursuit. Never forget when I got behind the helm for the first time I said to myself just what the hell did you do now. That boat seemed so BIG and the Gulf of Mexico seemed even BIGGER. Fortunately I got hooked up with a couple guys that took me under their wing and taught me so much about saltwater fishing. Guess you could say they were my Big Brothers. A few years later I sold that 26 ft. Pursuit and bought the 28 ft. Pursuit CC that I still run today. I got my USCG captains license and ran a charter fishing business for 15 years. Although many captains don't have the patience for fishing with families, my specialty was fishing with kids.
I have since retired but I am still an avid fisherman. I tell my wife I'm going to cut back and only fish on days that end in a "Y" but now my sore muscles determine when I'll go next. I now buy Avet Raptors and Daiwa Saltiga's but it all began with that little Zebco Red Rhino. Funny how sometimes when you give you get so much more in return. You just can't make this stuff up.

Wompus Cat

Great Story and almost Hate to Ask but what happened to Danny ?

Breadfan

Looking forward to a happy ending for this story.

When you say "Zebco", most people think of the plasticky spincasters of the past (and the present), but I feel comfortable saying that some of the old Zebco spincasters, as well as older spinning reels, were not only decent, but actually pretty good.

Frank

I think the new spincast ones, the more expensive ones, are still good if not better than the older ones. I bought the Z03 ten years ago and after many hours of research I will say it about the best one out there that I could find. It is by far the best spincast reel I've owned and that includes the daiwas and the Abus of the past. Yea, it really surprised me. Haven't had a single issue with it and I mainly cast spinners and small lures. No twisting, the drag is smooth, and it cast very well. Time will tell on how long it will last!

mo65

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 28, 2021, 02:54:31 AM
There was a story about a Fishing tournament back in the Day and first Prize was a Zebco 202.

Second Prize was  2 Zebco 202's.................

I told that on ORCa and Zebco Guy  got ticked  ....lol

I have at least a hundred or so  of them and use them quite often always have so I feel I can joke about them .

Second prize was two of them...Bahahaa!!! It's impressive how successful Zebco was with their budget models. Companies like Shimao, Daiwa, even DAM Quick and Abu Garcia all struggled trying to make a decent budget reel.

Quote from: Breadfan on July 28, 2021, 12:31:24 PM
When you say "Zebco", most people think of the plasticky spincasters of the past (and the present), but I feel comfortable saying that some of the old Zebco spincasters, as well as older spinning reels, were not only decent, but actually pretty good.

Frank

I think the new spincast ones, the more expensive ones, are still good if not better than the older ones. I bought the Z03 ten years ago and after many hours of research I will say it about the best one out there that I could find. It is by far the best spincast reel I've owned and that includes the daiwas and the Abus of the past. Yea, it really surprised me. Haven't had a single issue with it and I mainly cast spinners and small lures. No twisting, the drag is smooth, and it cast very well. Time will tell on how long it will last!

I have a Z03 myself...and I agree...it's a rock solid reel that would be hard to bust. The frame, the gears, everything on it is robust...and the bearings seem to be good quality also. My only complaint is the thing is so slow. I use mine mainly for trout trolling. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Yeah, GREAT story tarpon one! My cynical self though, is actually a little afraid to ask about Danny.

I'd be a big brother to anyone that had a boat and and needed a 1st Mate, 😃.

The Rhino series are to me a tougher than normal budget reel, then again, I only own one spincast Rhino combo. A well preserved '68 or older 33 is the bee's knees to me, almost completely metal.

Hey Henry, there's a thread in the "General Maintenance Tips", "Photo Gallery" section started by Sharkhunter called "Show Your Collections". Got any photos handy of some(all?!?!) of your stuff?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

tarpon one

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 28, 2021, 11:19:37 AM
And the short answer is I don't know. These families get into their situations by making bad choices and bad decisions and unfortunately those bad choices continued. The County Children and Youth Services was forced to remove all the children from the family and place them in foster homes. Danny was sent to a foster home hundreds of miles away. We met again once or twice but that was many years ago and I have no idea where or how he is today. This life isn't always fair, especially to innocent little children. I hope I made a difference.

After Wompus Cat sends those drag washers I'll take that little Zebco for one last fishing trip.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on July 28, 2021, 07:01:04 PM
Yeah, GREAT story tarpon one! My cynical self though, is actually a little afraid to ask about Danny.

I'd be a big brother to anyone that had a boat and and needed a 1st Mate, 😃.

The Rhino series are to me a tougher than normal budget reel, then again, I only one spincast Rhino combo. A well preserved '68 or older 33 is the bee's knees to me, almost completely metal.

Hey Henry, there's a thread in the "General Maintenance Tips", "Photo Gallery" section started by Sharkhunter called "Show Your Collections". Got any photos handy of some(all?!?!) of your stuff?

No body wants to see my 60  years of collecting besides I would have to clean em all up to take pix .
Quote from: tarpon one on July 28, 2021, 07:49:32 PM

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 28, 2021, 11:19:37 AM
And the short answer is I don't know. These families get into their situations by making bad choices and bad decisions and unfortunately those bad choices continued. The County Children and Youth Services was forced to remove all the children from the family and place them in foster homes. Danny was sent to a foster home hundreds of miles away. We met again once or twice but that was many years ago and I have no idea where or how he is today. This life isn't always fair, especially to innocent little children. I hope I made a difference.

After Wompus Cat sends those drag washers I'll take that little Zebco for one last fishing trip.

Well I can Guarantee you that you made a difference in his hectic life by showing him what Life is Really like in a good environment .Whether the bad influence was stronger you may never know but you can rest well knowing you showed him  the better ways.

tarpon one

"Well I can Guarantee you that you made a difference in his hectic life by showing him what Life is Really like in a good environment .Whether the bad influence was stronger you may never know but you can rest well knowing you showed him  the better ways."
Thanks for those kind words. I also got your message about the drag washers and I appreciate that as well. All the best.
Denis

Breadfan

That's a really good story, Denis.

thorhammer

Wrong, Henry, we wan to see them dirty or not. Daron's thread is one of my favorites, but doesn't get a lot of action anymore. I KNOW his collection has probably quadrupled since then- his 12/0's alone might collapse the table.

John

tarpon one

Wompus Cat drag washers received. I couldn't understand the large box they were shipped in until I learned the box was full of fishing reels. My plan is to deliver those reels to the local chapter of Big Brothers so a number of deserving kids can enjoy them. Thank you for your kindness!

foakes

Good gesture, Henry —

We sure have solid members.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Well those washers are kinda Delicate so I figured a Few ol Reels might keep  them from getting damaged in shipping . Just cain't be too carefull these days  ::)