BNIB Tica Team ST468 with jerky drags... what to do?

Started by williewiskers, August 13, 2021, 12:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

Quote from: nelz on August 14, 2021, 04:57:04 AM
Quote from: williewiskers on August 14, 2021, 04:37:17 AMOptical illusion. Its a star an even star shape and fits the splines on the shaft.

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'm very familiar with this Tica design, I've had mine apart many times, it just looked funky in the photo.

Btw, I can tell you that mine is a little jerky with mono, but totally smooth with braid. Don't ask me why, I'm sure Mr. Jure-o-something can explain it. Anyway, I went with braid as a result.

When I was pulling the line off initially after metering it, it was 500yds of 50# x4 braid... super jerky. So bad i wasnt sure I could spool the line off

The Wiskers

williewiskers

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 14, 2021, 12:56:19 PM
Hold on Thar Bobba a Louie like Quicks Draw Mc Graw use to say .

I just noticed BNIB in your header .
That is a color of a different Horse indeedy.

Unless you have been using that Reel for a towing winch on your truck /Jeep then there is NO WAY those pieces would have that kinda wear showing just spooling it up and testing the Drag function.
Is this A Brand NEW In Box deal or have you used it a year or so ?
If it is NEW and unused then someone sold you a USED REEL not NEW and Tica needs a return .
You are obviously a Patient ,knowing individual and I think Close to a Resolve here otherwise .

Brand New in box, never spooled until a few days ago when I tried to get it setup with line.

The Wiskers

nelz

Yeah, sounds like you got a lemon. Something's out of alignment or warped.

alantani

sorry to show up so late in the game.  so here's what i've got so far.  the stainless steel rotor is perfectly smooth.  the two drag plates are newly cleaned and regreased.  and yet, somehow, the drag remains jerky.  ok, usually that means one thing and one thing only.  there has to be a high spot in the carbon fiber sheet somewhere.  you can't see it, but it's there.
usually the cause is saltwater intrusion into the carbon fiber material itself that reaches the aluminum pressure plate and then a single spot "bubbles up" because of corrosion.  in the case of a new reel,  it could be that the carbon fiber material itself had a "lump" in it.  and lastly, when the drag disc was being made, a piece of "junk" got in between the perfectly flat carbon fiber washer and the perfectly flat aluminum pressure plate, creating small high spot that is causing your problem. 

bottom line, the drag pressure plates need to be replaced. this single defect needs only be 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch high to cause these problems.  it is likely something that you will not be able to feel. if you actually do feel a high spot, you could "dig" down to the metal with a small pocket knife, and see if the problem goes away. you likely have bad drag washers that no amount of grease will fix.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

williewiskers

Quote from: alantani on August 15, 2021, 03:32:40 PM
sorry to show up so late in the game.  so here's what i've got so far.  the stainless steel rotor is perfectly smooth.  the two drag plates are newly cleaned and regreased.  and yet, somehow, the drag remains jerky.  ok, usually that means one thing and one thing only.  there has to be a high spot in the carbon fiber sheet somewhere.  you can't see it, but it's there.
usually the cause is saltwater intrusion into the carbon fiber material itself that reaches the aluminum pressure plate and then a single spot "bubbles up" because of corrosion.  in the case of a new reel,  it could be that the carbon fiber material itself had a "lump" in it.  and lastly, when the drag disc was being made, a piece of "junk" got in between the perfectly flat carbon fiber washer and the perfectly flat aluminum pressure plate, creating small high spot that is causing your problem. 

bottom line, the drag pressure plates need to be replaced. this single defect needs only be 5 to 10 thousandths of an inch high to cause these problems.  it is likely something that you will not be able to feel. if you actually do feel a high spot, you could "dig" down to the metal with a small pocket knife, and see if the problem goes away. you likely have bad drag washers that no amount of grease will fix.   :-\

TICA USA said its 3 mos to get any parts for this reel ORDERED. I bought an offset micrometer and am going to find the PRECISE cause of the jerk and see if i can do something else about it. It will be more likely I can "fix" it if its something on the drag plates like you say.

Thank you

Rancanfish

Lay it on some glass and see if you can see something from underneath.

Alan, you still amaze me after all these years.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.