Tool AND grease

Started by Bill B, August 17, 2021, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

My neighbor stopped by today with his chainsaw asking if I could teach him how to use it.  He bought it new with chaps, helmet, gloves, and gas tank.  So in the spirit of Ohana said "sure, I know a few things about chainsaws".  So we started with the basics.  Don't use the tip of the saw as a violent kickback WILL occur.  Cut to the side of your body, not in front.  Don't dig your blade into the ground. Lookout for nails in what your cutting. Have the saw on the ground and step into the handle when starting. Have a fire extinguisher nearby.  Etc.  He the goes on to explain that he had been using the saw, but it was stalling and throwing the chain.  Annnnnd now it won't cut 🤔. He hands the saw over, I start it, and put some throttle into it and it immediately stalls?!?  Hmmmm.....first thing I notice the blade is on backwards.....then I notice except for some sawdust the blade is bone dry?!?  So off to the workshop to solve this mystery. First with the chain break off, the blade won't budge, then open the chain bar oil tank and it's bone dry (as in never had oil in it)....then I ask if he reinstalled the chain blade after throwing it off track. Out come the tools, pull/pry the chain off and found where it had overheated and pinched the chain groove on the bar.  A little file work and generous amounts of Penn oil and it moves freely.  Top off the oil tank and gas tank, reinstall the chain correctly. Then show him how to sharpen a chain blade.  He didn't have any files, so I gave him a sharpening file and flat file for good measure......plus a quart of CHAIN BAR OIL!  We then proceed into my yard where I have some logs for him to practice on. So now my junior lumberjack is off to do some clearing of downed tree limbs....and as he was walking away asked if in the future I could help him drop a few trees.....I'll be there brother.....👍👍. I wonder if he would be safer with an axe?  Maybe not........Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Hey Bill —

Although having used chainsaws for over 50 years — I still consider myself an amateur compared to the professional lumberjacks and tree guys — but there are a few things that you didn't mention in your excellent description of helping your neighbor get his saw operational — that I learned from guys who could tear down a chainsaw, rebuild it, and fine tune it — faster than I could do a reel on my bench!  These guys knew and grew up in the woods.

* Make sure your chain is the right type for your type of cutting.  It should be razor sharp with a couple of razor sharp replacement chains handy and ready to install.

* Don't force the saw — just hold it properly — and let the saw do the work.  With a razor sharp chain — and a properly adjusted saw — it will cut quicker and more effectively.

* Listen to the sound of the saw.  How it should sound when right — how it doesn't sounds when wrong.

* Make sure that large chips are coming out of your cut — that is the sign of effective cutting & a sharp chain.

* Always use the chain brake when letting the saw idle when setting wedges, or knocking out the notch with a woodsman's axe.

* Refill the chain bar oil & the gas mixture tank before they go dry — chains don't burn up that way.

* Eye and ear protection is the only way to go.

* Never cut off-balance — and always have the mind-set exactly where your feet and legs are planted securely.

* Always know exactly where you are going to toss the saw if things go "hairy" — and the sure direction that you will use for an instant escape route.

Just some opinionated hints —

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

All good points Fred, some I did pass along and some are new for me that will be passed along when we get together for another session....Bill

JasonGotaProblem

I'm glad you guys have written this, and it's a wonder I'm still alive. I've done a lot wrong. Better late than never.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shark Hunter

I learned to use a chainsaw at a young age with my grandpa.
He had a Ben Franklin Stove and heated the house that way.
To this day, whenever I use one, you keep your guard up and strong arm it.
Not pushing, just be ready for what could happen.
Respect the saw!
Life is Good!

Swami805

Two hands for the saw, always. If you can't cut with two hands change your position so you can.  No loose clothing! If your working with others Holler when dropping something and wait for a response.
  I Get  stats from our workmens comp company, most frequent injury and death these days is struck by falling objects, gravity never sleeps.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

johndtuttle

Hah! If you saw the injuries and amputations or near amputations from chainsaws that I've seen in the ED you'd never touch one again!

Damn dangerous machines. Pay a pro to do the job, imo.

Ron Jones

Gravity never sleeps should be tattooed to the inside of everybody's eyelids.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Midway Tommy

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 18, 2021, 05:44:17 AM
Hah! If you saw the injuries and amputations or near amputations from chainsaws that I've seen in the ED you'd never touch one again!

Damn dangerous machines. Pay a pro to do the job, imo.

Chain saws aren't that much different than circular saws, let your guard down and you're going to regret it. Knowing what you're doing and staying focused is the key. Never let your mind drift!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

I know a couple contractors who have had a worm drive circular saw kick and run right up their leg.....always need to be in control of your tools....Bill

El Pescador

Amen Brother Bill!!!

I've posted this photo before, but it helps to remind us that in a SPLIT SECOND things get CUT.

Here a LEVEL 5 - contractor Jim and our framing contractor, with 20 fingers on the set of plans, 4 are cut off competly or tippped.

All EACH cut was an accident AFTER the usual day job, working after hours, or weekends with alcohol involved.

BE CAREFUL, My Dad made 45 years in the trades without a single skill saw cut EVER.

And only missed 3 Days over those 45 years due to sore back.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: El Pescador on August 18, 2021, 07:41:53 PM
Amen Brother Bill!!!

I've posted this photo before, but it helps to remind us that in a SPLIT SECOND things get CUT.

Here a LEVEL 5 - contractor Jim and our framing contractor, with 20 fingers on the set of plans, 4 are cut off competly or tippped.

All EACH cut was an accident AFTER the usual day job, working after hours, or weekends with alcohol involved.

BE CAREFUL, My Dad made 45 years in the trades without a single skill saw cut EVER.

And only missed 3 Days over those 45 years due to sore back.

Wayne

Alan

When I first started using power saws at age 12 my dad, a more than experienced carpenter, gave me some advice that has stuck with me ever since, "just remember that those fingers don't grow back".  :o For 60 years, every time I use a power saw of any kind, I remember that statement. Came close a couple of times when I lost focus, but I've kept complete focus for the last 50 years! ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

In my previous life in the printing plant we had a guy like that (printing presses are not very forgiving).  "Hey, when are you getting off work today?"  Standard joke was he would hold up his hand with abbreviated digits and say ""3:30!" - john