How to date a Penn reel?

Started by smazzola, August 18, 2021, 03:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

How do I find out what date my Penn reels were manufactured?
😄

Benni3

Walffel clicker,,,wooden handles 30to early 40's,,, ;) pre war senators counter weight handles,,,,,3 post first made expect 38 seaford,,,,then it gets a little complicated with the stamp and part numbers,,,, :-\ 50's had green,,,grey and rose colored reels,,,, :) the 60's and 70's spin reels are easy,,but if there black it's a whole different ball game,,,, ??? And penn sometimes didn't go by the rules because there was None,,,,, :D if you got pictures of what you got that's the best way and you never know you what you might have a sampler or a rental or f molel,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

start w/ flowers, then just let the magic happen 'til you need more lube

oc1

Quote from: smazzola on August 18, 2021, 03:28:17 AM
How do I find out what date my Penn reels were manufactured?
What Benny said.  Put pictures here.  These guys can tell you what date and why.

RowdyW

You could buy the books put out by "The Chronological history of Penn Reels" by Michael Cacioppo if you are really serious about what you have. They have full descriptions of all reels from Penn of when they were made from 1932 to1957.          Rudy

smazzola

Thanks for your help guys. I did order the books Penn reel history, on eBay. Steve
😄

smazzola

Strange the pictures are upside down. Hope you can make it out.  :-\ Steve
😄

JasonGotaProblem

What about this fella? Looks pretty old. Definitely not mint condition, but not expensive either. Thinking about it as my first shelf piece.

Edit: I'm not trying to hijack the thread but if the penn identifiers are gonna stop by, I wanna capitalize on the opportunity.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

I would suspect both reels are from at least the late 60's, based on the presence of part numbers which didn't start until the early 50's and the rounded shape of the handles.  Without a catalog precise dating is very difficult. Others will chime in and most likely prove me wrong.  Stay tuned...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

JasonGotaProblem

From what I've been able to research without the reel in hand yet, its a first generation 3/0 based both on the side plate markings and the switch being behind centerline. But I see a part # on the oil thing (sorry I'm not a conventional user,I'm certain that's not what it's called). So it's potentially quite old with that part being newer. It has the 'coin' counterweight handle which suggests the reel is older than the age suggested by the oil thing having a part #. What the ivory-colored knob shows is unknown to me.

Disclaimer:
I am so far from an expert that I shouldn't even need to give a disclaimer, my lack of knowledge demonstrated in the post should cover that. But just in case. I'm giving my best impression based on what i can find, and that may or may not bear some passing relation to reality.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Bill B

If memory serves, all the smaller 4/0 and down were built in the 1st generation configuration.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!