Nylon washer

Started by Bishop808, August 18, 2021, 04:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop808

Does anyone know where to get the nylon washer that goes on the handle?

alantani

i've never been able to find any.  chances are you will have to cut your own.  a friend with a machine shop would be a great help right about now......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Delrin washers, can be cut good with a spade bit, place  the delrin between, two pieces of wood, then drill away, that is the inside hole, if the delrin is only 40 th, then you can cut the out side with scissors, I use them under the star on Senators, make the star easier to turn if your in a hurry, you can also use them for under gear washers if you wish, but I prefer carbon fibre washers under gear, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bishop808

Newell Nut

The nylon washer for the handle is a lock washer with a rectangular hole in it to fit the gear sleeve. When the nut is tightened the points on the nut fit tightly in the raised OD lip on the washer. This is how is becomes a lock washer and keeps the nut from backing off. Kind of hard to make one. Hawaiian guys on the Newell Group on facebook have them but I do not know if they are willing to share them.

Dwight

PacRat

Did you find one yet? If not; PM me your address and I'll get one headed your way.
I've read somewhere that these washers were made of plastic to prevent the old aluminum crank arms from corroding. I don'r remember where I read it though.

-Mike

PacRat

It will go in the mail Friday. I don't know how long it will take to get there from the mainland but you should see it next week. Funny thing is I think I bought it from Hawaii...now it's going home.

-Mike

Bishop808

steelfish

so, did someone found a way to make those plastic lock washers for the nut or to try something home made to lock the handle nut?

Im the need of one of those plastic washers as well as the handle nut.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Handle nuts on Ebay, the nylon washers? Hens teeth.
Pro challenger has handle nuts too I think and has Newell handle blades back in stock it looks like
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

The Baja Guy

PacRat

A while back a few of us purchased the EatMyTackle reels hoping that they would have some parts compatibility with Newell. Sadly, very few parts interchange but lucky for you the handle nut washer will with just a very small amount of trimming on the inside. It's soft enough that you can just push it onto the Newell gearsleeve but is does distort a tiny bit and will either just conform over time or it could possibly split. I would bet these are manufactured in China so the plastic might not hold up as well as the original Newell Part. Dimensionally, they do seem a little thicker around the rim and may actually prove to be more robust than the Newell part. At first glance they almost seem like hard plastic but if you squeeze them on end they will bend slightly; so they are soft plastic. Do not purchase handle nuts from EatMyTackle as they are a different thread. Adam Chui has the proper handle nuts at Pro Challenger.

Here's contact info for EatMyTackle: (850) 269-1704 www.eatmytackle.com

Here are schematics and photos of the EatMyTackle parts.

The part you want is Item Number 2

PacRat