foakes

Quote from: sandbar on October 04, 2021, 09:59:31 PM
Fred
20 to 40 Bull Reds.
Which Champion reel should I use?
Thank You
-Steve

4000, 5000, 4001, 5001

Although the 5000-5001 will do the job — I think it is a little over-kill.

4000 — 4001 would be my choice.  The drag system on a 4001 is slightly better than a 4000.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred
I do own a 4000 that I have never fished. I will
put new line on it and give it a whirl.
-Steve

foakes

The 4000/4001 are good sized reels with excellent spool capacity.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Milan S

Quote from: foakes on October 04, 2021, 04:02:50 PM
Quote from: Milan S on October 04, 2021, 06:25:55 AM
Quote from: PacRat on October 01, 2021, 04:35:45 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on October 01, 2021, 01:59:02 PM
:)     Ok  I`ll  bite , What is a bite indicator on the flange ?     My bite indicator is my index finger  .

The 'Bite Indicator' is that piece of soft gold plastic sandwiched between the flange and rotor pillar. The concept is that you pinch your line in there and it holds it loosely so that you can soak bait with your bail open. The fish can run with it with just a tug but the current won't.

Can any demonstration of how to use this part?  :)

More fish are lost, when fishing bait — with a closed bail — because a wary fish feels the resistance.

To eliminate this when bait fishing — the rod tip should be closer to level — and the bail should be left open.

However, a way to hold the line and to also monitor a light bite — is needed.

For decades — the man who taught me how to really fish would do this:  Elmo would keep the bail open, set the rod down in a near level position — then leave the line loose between the spool and the first eye of the rod.  He would then take a small loop of the line and put a penny on it.  When the line came out from under the penny — that was the first indication of a wary fish.

This bite indicator does the same thing — just slip the line between the flexible plastic flange and the rotor bail mount — to hold the line.

This also works very well in windy conditions since there is less line to catch the wind — the rod tip is closer to the water.

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred!
I understand.

PacRat

Which crank knob is correct for a 1202? I notice that the 1202 on Fred's peg-board has the small paddle type knob but I have a 1202 that has the larger knob. I've looked at a lot of photos online and I see both types. I'm wondering if both types came from the factory this way or are the larger knobs a user/owner modification? Fred, do you have a preference?

thorhammer

Are you surfcasting or boat fishing? If surfing, 5000 and 5001 hold a ton of 20-25lb mono and strong as boat winches.I'd fish 80 braid on these offshore and not think twice. 

PacRat

This is for a 1202 which will be used as a heavy freshwater/light saltwater (jetty) rig. Will likely see more salt than fresh. Six to eight pound line.

foakes

These came with either crank grip, Mike —

I am not sure how they determined which year got which grips — but both work fine — and are interchangeable — as with most parts on DAM reels.

The larger grip gives you a little more torque and control — the smaller flat Microlight grip gives you more finesse and a lighter touch on the crank.

You can try both and see which you prefer.

Sorry to get back to you so late on this.  We have been on a travel trailer trip up to the Calaveras Big Trees in Tuolumne County — past Murphy's and up towards Ebbet's Pass.

Still there now — might be back tomorrow or Wednesday.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks Fred. I was starting to suspect this might be the case once I started mining the internet for photos. It does seem like the smaller microlite type paddle may be more common.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

-Mike

nunc

... I hope one of you suave, smooth talking movers and shakers can help straighten me out ... I've been eavesdropping on the Best Fred Quick threads, decided I'd like to update my inventory to include at least a couple of the Champion series talked about in "00" - "01" - "02" Series of Quick Reels ... and became totally swamped in about 2.8 Google seconds

How does Quick 1, Quick 2, Quick 2 V2, Impressa 3, Dybabraid 4, Finessa 4S, Insider 7, and on and on seemingly infinitum play with the Champion series ... each iteration seems to come in a 1000 – 2000 – 3000 – etc size.

It may actually be worse than the smorgasbord Penn has put out. How do you even begin to search for a (eg) Champion Series 3001 ?

many thanks for your patience,
 Nunc

if the sun is in space, then why is there light on earth, but not in space ?

Midway Tommy

It's actually not that complicated. Just type Dam, or Dam Quick, 3001 into you search bar, be it eBay, Google, Bing, etc. and they'll come. Do the same thing with all the other sizes, i.e. 1,2,4 & 5. You can do the same thing with the 0 & 02 variants, too.

You don't need to include "Champion". If you include it you'll confuse the search engine & miss 80% of the information because most don't know it's the Champion Series.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nunc

well, that's sort of what brought on the question ... unless ebay's just messin' w/ me again,  a 'DAM Quick 3 spinning reel' search brings up a coupla three pages of piece parts, then :

Vintage D.A.M. Quick Spinning Reel Model SC3
DAM Quick Impressa 3
DAM Quick 550
SLS3 D.A.M. QUICK MADE IN JAPAN
DAM Fishing Reel Quick 1 4000
DAM QUICK FINESSA

that's why my question: what's an Impressa, an SLS3 a Quick 1, a Finessa ... et cetera and et alia

but thank you just the same

Nunc

foakes

Tommy is exactly right —- just do as he has layed out.

However, since there are some graphite or plastic reels using partially the same numbers —- you need to have a little knowledge of what you are looking for/at —- when pulling up listings and information.

If you tell us what you are looking for —- we could help in different ways. 

The worthwhile reels that you specified would be:

1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000
1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, 5001
1202, 2002, 3002, plus a low gear version of the 5001

These are (16) reels of excellent quality with metal parts, worm-drives, skirted spool, tough drags, and many other features.

Most are readily available on e-Bay, and other internet resources —- prices are not high.

If you get dizzy, or strike out on what you might be interested in —- I have plenty available.  Plus new parts for whatever you may find or need on the internet.

Some of the eBay sellers are ridiculous on pricing —- because they either don't know —- or are very greedy. Other times, you can get fair pricing or bargains.

Let us know what you have in mind by being a little more specific.  Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

nunc

I think my biggest problem is not knowing how to ask the question ... 

I just did a search for: DAM Quick 3000 spinning reel on ebay. My search results ... specifically (omitting the boilerplate like "Vintage DAM Quick") ...

Camaro LS35 Coarse / Match
Quick 1 3000
Quick Impressa 3
(several more Quick 1s)
Impressa 4S
Quick 2 VS
Dynabraid 4
Impulse 4
Insider 7
Finessa 8
Quick 4

and about a third of the way down the page, a "78s' vintage DAM Quick 3000 skirted-spool spinning reel used / excellent++ , $140.90 delivered

Is this the neighborhood I should be in ? 

Much Obliged for your patience

nunc 

DougK

the problem with a search like that, is the 3000 is a generic sizing number for a lot of modern reels. The Quick 1, Impressa etc are all modern reels and made in Korea probably. The Finessa was a DQ model that preceded the series which Fred is discussing. The Finessa are still fine reels but on the vintage side, not quite as good as these.

A search for Dam Quick 3001 or 3002 etc will be specific to the older reels that Fred listed.

Finding the actual vintage DQ 3000s is probably best done by starting the search in vintage reels,
eBay > Sporting Goods > Fishing > Vintage > Reels
Looks like there's on in Malaysia and one in South Africa right now, prices on both are fair with shipping getting pricey.

Honestly I'd just ask Fred for the reel you want.. it will be in excellent condition and fairly priced.
Hunting for bargains on ebay will take a lot longer and there's always the chance someone will sell you a dog with some irreparable problems.