Main Menu

Bluefin collars

Started by CooldadE, August 18, 2021, 07:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Grilled up some Bluefin collars last night...Food of the Gods ! Not much of a recipe, marinated in Very Very Teriyaki sauce overnight then grilled. Next time I think I'll add fresh Ginger to the marinade...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bill B

Thanks.....I have a few pairs to cook and was looking for suggestions....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

conchydong

Kama is the best part of the fish IMO. I cut out collars on everything I catch over 7 lbs.

JK47

Yummmm!!! I like to salt my BFT kama and broil them, with soy sauce, ponzu, and ground daikon as separate condiments for dipping. Got addicted to this years ago when I lived in Japan.

Brewcrafter

Cool - My mouth is watering just looking at the screen!!!!!   Collars and Belly's are always a special treat, and it looks like you did yours to perfection!!! - john

CooldadE

Quote from: Brewcrafter on August 20, 2021, 04:00:13 AM
Cool - My mouth is watering just looking at the screen!!!!!   Collars and Belly's are always a special treat, and it looks like you did yours to perfection!!! - john
On a side note...A couple of days ago I smoked some of my BF as my wife does not eat it raw or seared. I cut it into 1" thick strips , 4 hr soak in a teriyaki base brine. Slow smoked with Alder chips but not to long...moist and yummy ! Today I smoked another batch but added fresh ginger to the brine .For some reason the processors left some skin on some of the fillets. They smoked up very nicely and in fact were the best pieces in the batch. After pealing the skin off the extra fat layer left behind made it crazy good !

Cool

gstours

Yes i,m thinkin always leave the skin on when smoking almost any fish.  This is how i grew up, Salmon , tuna, even bottonfish,   it peels off easilyanyway.   This renders the meat with its own fats and prevents dryness.    Just saying. ;)

thorhammer

Quote from: gstours on November 03, 2021, 12:12:13 AM
Yes i,m thinkin always leave the skin on when smoking almost any fish.  This is how i grew up, Salmon , tuna, even bottonfish,   it peels off easilyanyway.   This renders the meat with its own fats and prevents dryness.    Just saying. ;)
[/qote]

Agree 100 percent, whether grilling or smoking.

thorhammer

Quote from: CooldadE on August 18, 2021, 07:35:00 PM
Grilled up some Bluefin collars last night...Food of the Gods ! Not much of a recipe, marinated in Very Very Teriyaki sauce overnight then grilled. Next time I think I'll add fresh Ginger to the marinade...

teriyaki, ginger, and a little sherry makes a GREAT marinade...a buddy that fishes AK for salmon turned me onto it.

Maxed Out

Looks very tasty Cool !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

CooldadE

Seeing that picture made me hungry ! Ima have to pull some out to grill tomorrow. Maybe I'll smoke some Bluefin also...

Cool