Long Beach Help

Started by sharkman, August 21, 2021, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Need help identifying. Bought Long Beach at yard sale. The side plate has no numbers just Long Beach. The reel foot stamped 300 yards. Dark wood handle.

Rancanfish

I'm going to say that would be an early 60.  But I haven't paid attention to that series.  Someone more knowledgeable will have a definitive answer for you pretty quick.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Wompus Cat

That MAY be a Rare one like Ted was speaking of with that Rod Holder on it .
Can you measure across the side plates and post it ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mo65

It's an early LB 65...like about '39. And yes...that is the harder to find clamping version of those early stands.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Does it have the waffle type clicker on the tail-plate? Was thinkin a 300 yd. reel, is that too big for a 60?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

A 60 is 2.5 wide and a 285 is too .The 65 is @ 2 3/4
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

sharkman

Inside ring to inside ring is 2 1/4. It has 6 post like 66, 67, 68.

sharkman

I have been researching on internet. The reel looks very similar to 1939 Long Beach deluxe.

Deepennz

Hi There,
Penn used that logo style with no model number, on their 1939/1940 Long Beaches - The 1939 LB65 usually came with a drilled spool arbour and a waffle clicker - the 1940 LB65 usually came with a 'kiss' clicker and a post on the arbour. The photos don't show those details.
The Penn catalogues of 1939/40 show the LB65 without a drilled foot - still stamped with '300yds'. the reel foot on that reel is most commonly found on the LB de Lux 65 - perhaps someone added that foot 'aftermarket' to improve the reel.
Cheers
Martin

sharkman

It has solid post arbor and Jersey kiss clicker. Did the early 65 have six post?

Deepennz

Hi There,
My apologies - I had missed the 6 posts - hard to see from the photo's. The reel is a 1940 Long beach 66 - same width as the LB65 but a bigger head and side plate. The LB66 and 67 also had that same logo in 1939/40. The LB68 came along in 1942.
Like the '60, and '65, the 1939/40 LB66 and 67 also came with a plain, yardage stamped foot ie 400yds, 500yds. I still think that drilled foot is an add-on.
Cheers
Martin

mo65

Ahhh...six posts eh? That helps identify it! That's a cool reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Old-school cool.
I think the LB "deluxe" reels had 2 rings on each side-plate.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sharkman

Thanks everyone for replies. I tore the reel down last night. The spool has a small arbor and really thin sides. The main gear doesn't look like typical 66 gear. The gear looked steel and was shorter than normal Someone has been in the reel before but it has been a while because screws were hard to remove. I assume the original drag washer were the leatherish type material someone replaced them with the white plastic material usually seen in ss spinning reels.

Ron Jones

The 66 and black Senators up to the 4/0 have a 66 gear, which is the same diameter / ratio with the 60 it is just deeper and can hold more disks. I've opened up quite a few reels and found a 60 gear where a 66 should be.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"