Finally found my 9/0, time to send it off for upgrades!

Started by Hock, August 21, 2021, 11:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hock

SO I finally found a 9/0 in decent shape for a good deal.  Guy I got it from says the free spool lever needs looking at but everything else is good.  Some pitting on the spool and side plates but overall decent condition cosmetically.  Looking to supe this bad boy up for medium sized sharks, groupers and amberjacks.  What can I get done to this sucker for $100-150?

Swami805

I think I'd get an aluminum spool, a CF drag kit and a new handle. Clean it up, go fishing! Down the line a stainless gear sleeve and an aluminum frame.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Good job on scoring a 9/0.... Be careful they will start breeding and next thing you'll have 4  ;D. With the 9/0, all that you need is carbon fiber drags and an longer handle.  It is really hard to strip the gear sleeve.  Spool it with 100 lb braid and a top shot of your choice and go kill some fish. There is a lot of other upgrades for the 9/0 at Cortez Conversions.  But drags and handle is all that is really needed.  These upgrades and braid will keep you under $150.  You will be surprised what the 9/0 can deliver.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

second on my two friends above....re handle, I have Alan's (The Boss) handle blade and 5/0 grip and it's the ticket for that reel.

Cuttyhunker

They can last about 2 years longer than a rock with a little care, you may already have the CF 5 stack drags, plenty of youtube vids to work on these old tanks.  Take your time and note (Photos or real notes)  how things
come apart in the proper order.  Looks like external access drags on yours, a lot easier for you.  Buy some real drag grease!!
Doomed from childhood

Benni3

I like the cortez frame for weight,,, ;) if you do all the inside upgrades you can pull your boat on the trailer with it,,,,,, ;D

CooldadE

What do y'all use your 9/0 reels for ? I bought one cuz the price was right and it was big and cool but I don't use it... A while ago I also bought a 14/0... it's way bigger and way cooler but I'll never use it...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

thorhammer

Quote from: CooldadE on August 24, 2021, 12:32:17 AM
What do y'all use your 9/0 reels for ? I bought one cuz the price was right and it was big and cool but I don't use it... A while ago I also bought a 14/0... it's way bigger and way cooler but I'll never use it...

Cool

They occupy the spaces between 6/0 and 10/0, and 12/0 and 16/0, respectively, on my shelf :)

The gentleman, a fishing buddy, who sold me the 14/0 asked what I would use it for....I said I'm gonna hang it on the wall (it was on a Fenwick) and talk about it!!!

John

RowdyW

The biggest & best thing to upgrade on that reel is to get an aluminum spool for it. The weight savings will be tremendous. The weight savings over the bronze spool will almost reduce the weight of the reel by 1/2. Then you can use the old spool for a boat anchor.  :D            
      Rudy

Hock

Quote from: CooldadE on August 24, 2021, 12:32:17 AM

Cool

Im going to be using mine for big Florida Gulf grouper, Amberjack, and medium sized sharks. 

Hock

Quote from: RowdyW on August 24, 2021, 12:56:13 AM
The biggest & best thing to upgrade on that reel is to get an aluminum spool for it. The weight savings will be tremendous. The weight savings over the bronze spool will almost reduce the weight of the reel by 1/2. Then you can use the old spool for a boat anchor.  :D            
      Rudy
I was looking at the Cortez website for stuff, the frame unfortunately is out of stock.  If I was gonna go the route of weight shavings, I'd def be doing the spool and eventually the frame together but unfortunately I need to prioritize what I can upgrade within a certain $$$ range since I have a trip offshore booked in late October so my primary focus is getting the overall functionality working.  With that in mind, likely going the way like some have suggested of upgrading the drag washers, handle, etc.  Weight isnt a huge issue since I can rest it on the rails this coming trip. 

oc1

The stock 9/0 is a pretty solid piece of equipment.  Maybe some new drag washers is all you need.

Benni3

I put 1000yds of 100lb cabela's braid,,,,, :-\ and top shot it with 80lb hi-catch diamond,,,,about 120yrs just something to think about,,,,,,,, ;D

Cuttyhunker

Cool,
Small to mid sized Tuna in New England is what I see most
Doomed from childhood

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL