Finally found my 9/0, time to send it off for upgrades!

Started by Hock, August 21, 2021, 11:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I would say lose the chrome brass spool, but honestly its cheaper to buy a used one already with the aluminum spool than to try and find one as a replacement. They're not at all hard to find complete by me. My tackle resale buddies are always giving them away because no one wants them.

As for what they're good for. I have 2 of them on 50# class bent butts setup for bottom fishing (50#mono backer, 500yds 100# braid on top). I use them for bottom fishing, deep drop and as an extension to my 50# class trolling spread.

As for what to do to them - aside from dropping that heavy bronze spool like a bad habit and starting with a factory aluminum spool model with ball-bearings instead of spool bushings - a used vintage steel main gear is stronger than the bronze one (that's what I have), a Cortez stainless gear sleeve is a MUST for larger handles and winching (you ABSOLUTELY can round off a 9/0 gear sleeve!). I specifically said CORTEZ because only his gear sleeves are heat treated and are a natively stronger 410 alloy than the other manufacturers. I believe his sleeves also have MORE anti-reverse teeth, which is important for reducing back travel and breaking the dog. Speaking of the dog, you're going to want to get a stainless steel one of those from Cortez as well. Other than that grab yourself a complete HT-100 drag stack from Mystic Parts and dont waste your money on Bryan's ultimate anything for this reel - its smooth enough and you'll not get any more drag from more washers than the OEM. Cal's drag grease SPARINGLY on the CF washers, Penn blue grease on the gears and mechanisms and as always Reel-x in the bearings, gear sleeve and spool shaft.

Custom handle that fits your liking, I am just fine with the stock one.

The Wiskers