Pink... Salmon? Sure why not...

Started by witty1, August 23, 2021, 02:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

witty1

So this year the pink salmon are running in pretty good numbers.
Decided... with kid #1 on the way, I'd stock up the freezer with some smoked salmon AND get some valuable fishing time in... So... let the fishing harvesting begin!
Mostly going from shore on Mon/Tues/Wed after work and from the kayak Thu/Fri after work and Sat/Sun whenever if I go out... (it's a zoo out there on Thu-Sun... so I'll try my best to avoid combat fishing if I can)
Limits just about every trip within 30min - 2 hrs.
Netting these things 1 handed in a kayak can be challenging when fighting the tide which can run at 4mph where I fish... and you get a workout too!
Here's the results of the trips I remembered to shoot the catch.

Donnyboat

Nice fish Witti, the fish not to witti, taking the hook ay, thanks for posting cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Nice looking fish, should smoke up just fine.
Congradulations on your first kid coming! exciting times!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

gstours

When pinks are plentifull they are a good food to bbq, smoke, or and can.   Pinks can put up a good fight and are a blast on lite tackle.    on a fly rod these are a ball.   very seasonal....
    Many sandwiches can be made,  ot salmon dip.   thanks for your post.    in a kayak too! :)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

I'm guessing somewhere close to mukilteo, just south of me a couple miles. The snohomish river runs right around my peninsula, and it's the river with the most abundant pink run, but only on odd years. We catch, bleed, and ice down right away. Pinks have enzymes that speed up decay after death. The fry only stay in the river for 2 weeks and the decaying parents will give them something to eat

Best to bbq on the day of catch. Not as good after sitting in fridge for a day. Oil content makes pinks great for the smoker. They are very easy to catch slow trolling a 6" white flasher and short leader with mini pink hootchie. Casting small pink buzz bombs at jumpers is another method
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

witty1

Quote from: alantani on August 24, 2021, 12:07:14 AM
eric, where are you fishing now?

Bush Point or Possession Point on Whidbey Island...

Mostly been going to Bush Point since chinook season is over.

witty1

Tonight's success.
Went from the beach this evening, they were more scarce and smaller, less schools running by the beach.
Did see a couple wild coho caught and released... I may have to change up my game and target the silvers.

Maxed Out

Nice job Eric. Yes, it's time for coho on west Whidbey isle.

August 20th is traditionally the peak for pinks in humpy hollow.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

witty1

Last nights haul...
Had to work for these 2...
Hundreds of em swimming next to shore. ignoring EVERYTHING tossed at them... Even felt the lure bouncing off their backs at times they were so thick....
But they were not biting. I was only able to squeak out fish #2 just as the sun set. I wonder if last nights full moon had them fat'n full... they do look quite.. porkly.
(bottom fish in pic was bit by a seal but got away... has the a mark on its belly)

Tried for silvers with no luck...

whalebreath

Good to see those gill rakers ripped out so they bleed clean

witty1

Quote from: whalebreath on August 27, 2021, 01:34:06 AM
Good to see those gill rakers ripped out so they bleed clean
yea... I've started bringing a knife on my outings to clean the fish on-site to bleed them more thoroughly. Pulling the gills only does so much... 

witty1

Last night... caught 7 pinks. 
I kept 2, released or gave away the rest...
No silvers  still ??? which is disappointing.
I may switch my game to use herring this evening to catch the elusive Silver Salmon... or fish Possession Point as Bush Point is doing construction to install fiber internet, making the parking area much smaller.