"Vintage" Electronics, Junk Pile Gold.

Started by Keta, August 23, 2021, 02:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I never throw things away if I think they have future use or can be scraped or recycled.  A friend called yesterday asking if I had a sonar he could use for a "memorial" fishing trip, his son-in-law and a good friend of mine died of COVID 1984 2 weeks ago, and his sonar quit working.  I checked my sonar bin and found a early 90's chart plotter and a sonar that was better than what he had but compatible with his transducer and plugs.  I asked him if he checked the fuse and he said "what fuse".  He cut loose bundled wires and found a hidden inline fuse (I hate them) and is machine works but has a failing screen.  The one I gave him was a take out and was working when I replaced it with a mid 2000 one for a friend.  I told Chuck it was a "vintage" sonar (old used up junk in e-bay talk) and they are no longer made and were priceless.  What is "priceless" is transducers and power cords, and I have both, including a GPS antenna.

During my bin diving I found a good used Arimar P66 transducer for a Garmin, a over priced NMEA power cord,  Blue Sea System fuse block and ACR  I needed for the radar/auto pilot install on my 16' C Dory so I did get "paid" for the time.  I also found a really old Lowrance green box that I forgot I had, it still works.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

Those green boxes aren't worth a whole lot any more. More nostalgia than anything else. You can find them for $25 all day long with the transducer 4around here.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

I remember using the paper machines in my younger years.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

I have one of those too, and a Raytheon V700.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

I used a Garcia paper graph like this for years. It still works! I got tired of buying paper so now I use an old Lowrance X5 LCG from the mid '80s. Top of the line when I bought it.   :)  I like to give the fish a fighting chance these days.  ;)   :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)