Avet SXJ 5.3 - Is there a Mag retrofit kit? (Or how/to mag it)

Started by Tuffecs, August 24, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuffecs

I have the non-mag (non MC) version.  I should have bought the MC version because I'll be doing more surf casting.  Anyone know if there is a retrofit kit for this reel?  If so, how do I get one?  Where can I get instructions for the install?  Thanks

alantani

not an easy one   avet has their master cast.  i've never magged a reel so i'm not sure what would be involved.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

You could put in static magnets if the rod and lure/bait weight is not going to change much.  There are threads here about different options for doing it.  Some are reversible.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Avet sells the MC cast frame as a seperate part but it probably better to sell your reel and buy the MC version price wise.

Tuffecs

Hmmm.....maybe I should just practice casting the reel as-is.   Backlash and new mono, here I come. ;D

Squidh90

There are no DIY kits available for magging an Avet, however there is a well known gentleman in Virginia who has experience magging both mc and non mc Avets. I'm not sure how much he charges but PM me and I can give you his company name.

RUSTY OLD COLT

There are no kits but ,I  have swapped frames between non mag and mag avets  .Avet will sell you the frame with the mags but as of now you just have to call them

oc1

Quote from: Tuffecs on August 27, 2021, 05:51:13 PM
I should just practice casting the reel as-is.   
That didn't work when I tried it. :)

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on August 27, 2021, 05:51:13 PM
Hmmm.....maybe I should just practice casting the reel as-is.   Backlash and new mono, here I come. ;D

try static mag the reel, you can add more o less magnets depending your average lure you cast.

this is a Shimano trinidad 16, it comes with centrifugal brakes and some guys might say it dont need any aditional help, but now with this rare earth strong mags I can throw any spoon or iron without any worries as you would do with an spinning reel, I might lost some distance but won many days without birdnest.
jus do something similar with your avet.
The Baja Guy

oc1

They also have countersunk magnets that can be attached to the side plate with a flathead screw.  Then, the solid wafers can be added or reoved on top to tune the height of the stack and the amount of braking.  K&J Magnetics.  They're cheap so buy a variety.

Tuffecs

Got a response from Avet;  they sell the mag frame for $90, and they said to look at the schematic to figure it out.   :-\ .  I just may buy a mag reel like the Squall II ($150+), which I heard good reviews.  Not sure I'll know what I'm doing or if it's worth the effort if I try static mags on my Avet.....not to mention how it'll really cast.

PacRat

I would take Alex's advice and try some magnets before investing too much money in a new reel. Get some rare-earth magnets and either glue them into the sideplate with RTV or glue some magnetic stainless steel washers (if you have space). The RTV holds well and is removable. Stainless washers will allow you to add and remove magnets as necessary. I would recommend mimicing what you see in the Avet schematic for a starting place.

A well educated thumb is priceless but we all get excited and screw up. Like Alex says; you will lose a little distance but you may make up for that by not picking at back-lashes.

-Mike

Tuffecs

Mike,
Would you have pics of what you're talking about?  Or links that show it?  Does it look like the Trinidad pic above?  Thanks

creech

Squidder for reference. i just use hot glue and carefully heat  up the side plate with a small heat gun so the hotglue has a good bond to any random metal skinny washer that'll fit. do up a north/south/north combination and it'll slow down the spool. my baseline indicator freespool for my likes, i'll spin it as hard as i can. i'm satisfied when it spins less than 10 seconds. add more or less magnets as needed, and can stack them closer to the spool. then i'll put grease on the magnets and washer so they don't rust.

Gfish

Quote from: Squidh90 on August 27, 2021, 09:18:09 PM
There are no DIY kits available for magging an Avet, however there is a well known gentleman in Virginia who has experience magging both mc and non mc Avets. I'm not sure how much he charges but PM me and I can give you his company name.

You mean he adds extra magnets to an MC Avet? MC = magnetic control, right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!