Avet SXJ 5.3 - Is there a Mag retrofit kit? (Or how/to mag it)

Started by Tuffecs, August 24, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90

No, the company, Reel KustomReels will actually drill out the side plate of both mc and non mc avets in order to install an adjustable mono mag type magnet.  This type of magnet would completely replace the factory factory magnet on Mc reels as far as I understand. Mc technically means magic cast I believe, but yes it is just Avets term for magnetic cast control.

creech

he only does that for customers named magneto. jk.

along those same lines i have over magged reels in the past where keys/hooks and other stuff have stuck to the outer sideplate. woopsy

Carl

Tuffecs

Saw his web site, Squid.  Thanks for info.   Am impressed with all the different reels he's magged.  I like the fact that he makes the mag strength externally adjustable.

First, I think I'm going to try static mags.  Pics from creech and steelfish gave me a good idea of how to do it.  Thanks

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 02, 2021, 02:38:45 AM
First, I think I'm going to try static mags.  Pics from creech and steelfish gave me a good idea of how to do it.  Thanks

my pics of the trinidad looks kind of complicated because the reel is pretty "busy" already in the left sideplate and its also concave.
but I actually did it because I saw guys with avets installing the magnets, take a lot at the next pics

I also static magged my saltist 20h, it was easier to do than my trinidad reel, again, I might have lost some distance but so far I havent been on a situation where I lose a fish opportunity because my reel didnt casted too far, first I installed 3 small mags on the saltist, now it only has one and I feel thats enough for the average weight I cast on it.
The Baja Guy

Tuffecs

Much clearer now.

What is the purpose of the washers?  Is it really needed?  Could I use a cut-out sheet metal piece instead?

Also, after using your static mag reels, do you find it a pita to always open up the reel for adjustments?  Seems like it would be much less annoying to have external adjustment knob, especially if you want small incremental changes.

When changing mags, you get larger incremental changes depending on the mag.  And you're not getting the "just right" resistance because the mag change was too large.

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 02, 2021, 05:33:52 PM
Much clearer now.

What is the purpose of the washers?  Is it really needed?  Could I use a cut-out sheet metal piece instead?

Also, after using your static mag reels, do you find it a pita to always open up the reel for adjustments?  Seems like it would be much less annoying to have external adjustment knob, especially if you want small incremental changes.

When changing mags, you get larger incremental changes depending on the mag.  And you're not getting the "just right" resistance because the mag change was too large.

the purpose of the SS washers is to put the magnets in and out as required, the mags are not glued in the reel but the washers are, you can use a cut-out sheet metal instead of course but be sure to use an stainless steel metal or you will have ugly problems with corrosion, magnets are prone to corrode if they are in a corroded metal, so, even using an stainless steel metal stand for the mags use marine grease as protectant.

thats the main reason of using the smallest mags you can find and put them over a metal plate, so you can fine adjust after making some practice cast on the field, you dont want to open your reel on the beach or boat to take one mag in or out, not the best way but you have to find the number of magnets that work better for your weight you normally use on that specific reel, if you ever use less weight then the mags will cut your distance a lot and if you use way more weight than you average (for your mags) then you can run into the birdnest again.
no way to compete versus an external adjustmet mag knob, this option is just to reduce your possible birdnest problem when surfcasting and thats it once you feel confident you can take one or two or every magnet on the reel.
on reels with external mag control normally I cast with the adjust knob to the minimum and depending on the wind specially if its infront of the face to cast I adjust the mag control.
The Baja Guy

creech

steelfish got some nice looking 'mags' haha.

When you do magnet  cast testing. Another old skool trick i learned growing up tossing jigs or sinkers. Take your most awesome cast, then strip another 10-15 yards out. put a small piece of medical tape or electrical tape. That way even if you birds nest, it's just a minor setback to fix and not spaghetti. I also do this method also when i fish at night where i can't see my jig/sinker in flight and have to guesstimate the landing. even if you're on a fish, the tape just falls off as you're getting spooled on a big fish. use biodegradable tape haha!

enjoy!

Carl

oc1

If the side plate is not flat you need to glue in the plate like Alex did to correct for the concave.  If the side plate is already flat then you can glue magnets directly to the side plate.  It's tricky to do unless you glue in one magnet at a time and let the adhesive fry before adding another.  Use the largest diameter magnets that you can get away with.  But, the magnets will need to tuck in under the spool flange so that often limits the diameter you can use.

Tuffecs

Confirming steelfish = Alex?

Ok, see if I got this.  Glue the washer to the sideplate.  Do not glue mag to washer.  Only attach the mag to the washer (allows for easy removal).  Try to conform the washer or steel piece to the sideplate if it's concave.

Will try your tape trick, creech.
_________

Been fishing over 50 years.  Since I haven't surf fished this past several years, I went out the other day to a local field to practice with my conventional reels.

When I did surf fish, I used mainly spinners and a single conventional.  I casted just fine on my Saltist LW 30HA.  So, I should do Ok at the field, right?

First, I tried my Sealine X20SHA (with mono).  On the first cast, I threw easy, and it did well.  On the next dozen casts, I incrementally threw harder, and it went farther.  My thumb was still somewhat smart, so no problem, and my confidence went up.

Next, it was the SXJ's turn (with mono).  On the first cast, I threw it easy.  Some loose line resulted on the reel, but easily fixed.  On the next cast, I threw harder. To my surprise, the spool spun very fast (such a big difference compared with the Sealine).  I guess my thumb wasn't that smart, so yep, birdnest.

Next step, order mags.

oc1

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 04, 2021, 09:26:19 PM

Ok, see if I got this.  Glue the washer to the sideplate.  Do not glue mag to washer.  Only attach the mag to the washer (allows for easy removal).  Try to conform the washer or steel piece to the sideplate if it's concave.

Roger that.  The closer the stacks of magnets are to the spool the stronger the braking force will be.  You can fine tune it for thumbless casting by adding or removing thin magnet discs to the stacks.  I use a combination of 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 inch thick magnets to fine tune.

If you can not intentionally backlash the reel by throwing harder then usual and into the wind, then you might want to remove a few magnets to get more distance.  If it backlashes then add more magnets to the stack(s).

Mike has a great ides using the RTV sealant to attach to the side plate.  It is impervious to grease.  Grease and oil can degrade five-minute epoxy within a year.  Something like G-Flex will last a little longer.

Tuffecs

oc1,

Do you start off with 1/4 or 1/8 inch diameter mags?  Also, any particular type of tape you use on the line so it doesn't leave residue?  I'd like to also use it to hold down the line to the spool (when reel is not in-use) to prevent unraveling.  Many reels don't have that tab thingy on the spool's side to clip the line to.

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 04, 2021, 09:26:19 PM

Ok, see if I got this.  Glue the washer to the sideplate.  Do not glue mag to washer.  Only attach the mag to the washer (allows for easy removal).  Try to conform the washer or steel piece to the sideplate if it's concave.

Will try your tape trick, oc1.

sorry for the late response buddy, pretty much Steve covered everything you asked.

for tape, regular beige masking tape dont leave residue on the line, blue painters masking tape leave even less residue but tends to detach itself from itself after some days.

since you are starting with static mag, order few different sizes mags, test few different sizes on your reel and find the sweet spot for your reel, save the rest for any other static mag job.
The Baja Guy

PacRat

You will also find 101 uses for leftover magnets. I put a couple on my drill-press head to hold the chuck key and bits. My drill guide has one so I can stick it to the side of my tool box. I have them on my magnifying lamp to hold Dremel bitts...the list goes on and on.

Just be very careful with the magnets because if a child or animal eats them; it can be very dangerous.

PacRat

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 07, 2021, 04:26:04 PM
oc1,

Do you start off with 1/4 or 1/8 inch mags?  Also, any particular type of tape you use on the line so it doesn't leave residue?  I'd like to also use it to hold down the line to the spool (when reel is not in-use) to prevent unraveling.  Many reels don't have that tab thingy on the spool's side to clip the line to.

Here's a little trick. Put a little blob of modeling clay where you want to put the magnets (make sure it doesn't stick to the spool or plate). Then take the clay out and measure the thickness. This will give you a good dimension to start with. Give yourself plenty of clearance between the magnets and spool.

Tuffecs

Ok.  Good idea on the extra mags.

I don't have clay, so maybe I'll try gum as a quick depth gauge.

The SXJ spool is aluminum, which is non-magnetic.  How does the mag slow the spool down on a cast?