Avet SXJ 5.3 - Is there a Mag retrofit kit? (Or how/to mag it)

Started by Tuffecs, August 24, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

The spool does not have to be magnetic material.  It has to be conductive material.  Aluminum is a good conductor.

Sometimes it is better to not delve too deeply into Lenz's Law. 
"The induced electromotive force with different polarities induces a current whose magnetic field opposes the change in magnetic flux through the loop in order to ensure that original flux is maintained through the loop when current flows in it."

PacRat

Like Steve said; you would not want a magnetic (ferrous) spool because the magnets would  influence it too much. But the spool has to be metallic. If you had a plastic or graphite spool you would need to adhere an aluminum or brass disk to the side with the magnets. Non-magnetic stainless steel will also work.

Tuffecs

Ok.  I think I'll just accept that it works.  Mag flux...current...conductive material.  Ah, great scott...similar principle as the flux capacitor.

KJ sells neodymium magnets.  Amazon sells DIYMAG refrigerator magnets that are "strong high-quality neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB) magnets" for far less than KJ.

Anyone know if the magnets are really different?  The same?  Should I really buy KJ instead?

steelfish

get both and tell us your findings, cheap mags might corrode faster by saltwater  ;D ;D

any magnet will work, even those magnets on the Hard Disc from computers, those are thin but large.
The Baja Guy

PacRat

I think I would go with the DIYMAGs. They're nickle plated but I would still brush them down with grease once you're happy with the configuration. Maybe get some 6 x 2 and some 8 x 3...if you find an assortment, even better.

oc1

Neodymium corrodes really easily.  The hard candy shell they put on them is not very corrosion resistant either and is prone to chipping.  Then the rust that flakes off is magnetic too so you end up with a coating of brown crud that is difficult to remove.  I spray them with WD-40, then blow the crud off with compressed air, repeat, then re-lube.

The corrosion does not seem to effect how the reel behaves, but it looks terrible and is not something you would want to get in the spool bearings.

Tuffecs

steelfish,

Your Trinidad pic shows 3 mags arranged as follows:  - + -
Why not arrange as + - + ?  Does it matter?

Your blue reel also has 3 mags.  Can't tell the upside polarity.  Same as Trinidad?

Your silver reels (left to right) show 1, 2, and 2 mags, respectively.  What is the upside polarity of the 1 mag?  Of the 2 mag reels?

Creech has 3 mags in his Squidder, and the polarities are unmarked.  The mags are in a triangular arrangement.  I wonder if arrangement matters.  Triangle vs linear.  What if the mags are farther apart, say half inch?  One inch?  Is the magnetic force more, less, or the same?

What is the approach in trying to increase or decrease resistance on spool speed?
To increase resistance (reduce spool speed), do you keep mag quantity the same and increase mag diameter or thickness?  Add another mag of same dia & thickness?
If I understand this right, larger mags (larger dia or thickness) will yield stronger magnetic force (more resistance on spool).  Also, more mags means more force.
I guess you have a number of choices depending on available mags.  Increase/decrease dia, increase/decrease thickness, or increase/decrease quantity to get the right force.

PacRat

I stole this from another site: "I add or remove magnets until the spool barely starts to overrun at splash-down when casting across the wind.  If I change rods then the whole tuning process stars over again.  The process starts over and more magnets are needed if trying to switch to a lighter lure.  You can often get by when switching to a heavier lure though." 

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 08, 2021, 05:16:20 PM
steelfish,

Your Trinidad pic shows 3 mags arranged as follows:  - + -
Why not arrange as + - + ?  Does it matter?

I really dont know  ;D ;D and never wanted to go that deep on understanding the theory of magnetic fields/ eddie currents/ etc , I just marked them to be sure they were installed with opposite force from each other, that will increase the magnetic field than put them all with "+" on the back/front.

the avet reels arent mine, I just found the pictures on my laptop that helped me to install my own mags

dont try to copy the exact configuration you see and expect to have the same results only if its the same reel with the same mags, even mags of the same size will have different effect on each reel, depending on the size of the spool, material of the spool, space between the mag and spool, brand of the mag, etc.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: PacRat on September 08, 2021, 05:35:40 PM
I stole this from another site: "I add or remove magnets until the spool barely starts to overrun at splash-down when casting across the wind.  If I change rods then the whole tuning process stars over again.  " 

completely true, been there done that.

some guys are totally against static mag a reel because of that, once you find the sweet spot for you reel with certain number of mags expect to have some overruns if you cast in a hurry on a feeding frenzy or if you cast a lot more heavy lure because it will pull the line faster than the magnets were able to control the spool speed.

thats why some fishermen prefer to spend some money for an aftermarket external mag control, aka Knobby mag, its basically turn your avet reel into a MC version

check this thread   https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26171.0

The Baja Guy

PacRat

I fooled around with magnets a long time ago and eventually removed them and when back to my thumb just too squeeze a couple more yards out of my casts. I did a little googling and a lot of other sites refer people back to alantani.com for the best advice. Here's an thread that is worth reading. It also discusses the virtues of +-+, +++, and +-- configurations.
https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/121353-magging-an-avet-mxj/

Tuffecs

KJ Magnetics
I chose 12 mags:
Dia 1/4, 3/8; thickness 1/8, 3/32
$ 15 - 20 shipped

Amazon
DIYMAG refrigeration magnets, package deal for 60 mags:
Dia 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 mm (12 pieces of each dia); thickness - all 2 mm
$ 9 shipped

- Both web sites had good mag descriptions:  coated, corrosion resistant, quality, strong, etc.
- I measured clearance in my SXJ; all mags above will fit my reel

I ordered DIYMAG.

creech

Tuffecs, i also do the north/south/north on most of my reels, i just don't mark it on the actual magnet. i also play around with magnet heights ( i have different height magnets i get). mine are just circular so it can fit on my circular washer so i can mix and match on the fly. i think the polarity opposites like north/south or  +/-, slows down the spool the fastest.

Generally on most of my reels i average about 3-4 small magnets.
Only one i put a huge magnet are my lever drag fathoms, which are hard for me to control casts. such a fast spool startup.......

My general goal is to have my freespool when i test it by spinning it to be less than 10 seconds spin time.

Tuffecs

Received the mags last night.  Wow, these things are strong.

Will try three 8 mm mags as a start.

More pics to come.

Tuffecs

Installed/glued the #8 flat washers; thickness about 1/32 ".  Had Gorilla contact adhesive on hand, so used it.  It's waterproof, clear, and flexible.  Did sideplate and washer clean/prep before gluing.

Just about ready to insert the mags, but I can't find my compass to determine mag polarity.  Will order one.