Avet SXJ 5.3 - Is there a Mag retrofit kit? (Or how/to mag it)

Started by Tuffecs, August 24, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

You don't need to know if they are positive or negative.  You just have to make sure they alternate polarities.  You can determine that just by holding them and seeing what sticks to what.  

Two adjacent magnets with opposite polarities facing up will weaking stick together when you place them side by side.  They will repel each other if you try to stack them one on top of the other.

Two adjacent magnets with the same polarity facing up will repel each other when placed side-by-side but stick together tightly when one is placed on top of ther other but .

Tuffecs

Yes, I can install the mags just as you mentioned, oc1.  But I still want to know the polarities as I play around with different mag set ups.  This should be interesting.  Thanks!

oc1

You can give them names, north and south, head and tail.  But, it doesn't matter.  Two stacks of north separated by one stack of south will behave the same as two stacks of south separated by a staclk of north.

Breadfan

I've done a few of my reels that way and ended up taking them out. it works well but its static. On a day when the wind is with you, your casting won't be nearly as far as it could be. I used to take off the plate at the beach and fiddle with them and then realized taking the plate off a reel at the beach is not a good idea. I have a Fathom II 15 CS and I adjust it to whatever the wind is doing just about every time out. As far as the 'MC" mag plates, I had a magged Avet and with the mag turned all the way down, it was still too much mag. They have the right idea, but wrong execution. With no wind, or if it's with you, you won't need mags at all. Sold it and got the Fathom. Problem solved. I also fish with a friend who has a commercial license and he only fishes with the Squalls on the beach, swears by them and I agree, they are very good, almost bullet proof reels.

Tuffecs

I hear ya, oc1.  I'd like to see the mags labeled...for convenience...to visually see the markings...I guess it makes my brain feel at ease...lol.

Breadfan,

Looks like you're sold on the Fathom.  I was thinking about getting the star drag versions of Squall II or Fathom II 15 for surf casting primarily.  Maybe the Fathom II 25N instead.  Do you like your Casting Special better than the standard?

I've been doing more reading about static magging, and have not been hearing that static mag reels are all that great.  Seems like the custom knobby mag ones are way better.  Still, I want to give static mag a shot on my Avet.

After all is said and done, I would probably end up with a new Squall or Fathom. ;)

steelfish

a lot of reels will be much better than avet MC for surf fishing, its just the nature of the beast, any comparable size good caster star drag reel will be better option than an avet, period.
as example : you have the saltist 20h, fathoms, old sealines 20SHA or 20SLOSH, penn 525mag, penn 535 non mag, etc, etc.

the problem with avet and many leverdrag reels for surf casting is the weight of the spool, when comparing similar sized reels the spool of a LD is pretty heavy compared to the spools of a SD reel, so, you need more mag force to stop it or control the speed that force also cause to reduce the casting distance when you have the wind on your favor, with star drag reels you need much less mag force to control the spool so, thats mean more distance when you make a good cast or have the wind on your back.

with that said, I left the static mag on reels I use to cast from a boat which dont require 100yds to reach the fish and the opportunity to find a feeding frenzy and lost control by the adrenaline is higher and as many have done it, I took the mags out from reels I cast from the beach.

my dream reel for cast from the beach is the Bridgeless truth SM reel, I will buy it someday, not pretty soon but I will get it

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18237.0

The Baja Guy

oc1

I agree Alex and am glad to hear someone else say lever drag reels are disadvantaged when it cmes to casting.

You have to admire Release/Truth/Seigler reels.  A small company started by an engineer.  Unlimited lifetime warranty.  Not made in China.  I hope he can make it over the long run.

Tuffecs

Man, you guys are getting me all fired up on this. ;D

Is it now called the Seigler SM SD?  I'm really liking the reviews on this.

Squidh90

Those Seigler SMs are cool reels. They're made about two hours from where I live and I actually got a tour of the shop. Almost everything is done in house by about a dozen people. The only caveat is occasionally they will let a reel out with some slight qc issues. My friend had one where some of the knobs and the clutch lever weren't put on 100% correctly. But if you're looking for a high performance surf casting reel the seigler  SM is a solid option.

Tuffecs

Referencing some of your comments.  As we mag a reel to control spool speed and minimize backlashes, we also lose some distance.  If that's the case, why not just use a spinner and avoid the risk of backlash?  Can a spinner outcast a magged conventional reel in terms of distance?

Squidh90

No, a magged conventional will for the most part outcast all spinners. I'm sure someone else here can go deeper into the physics of that, but I personally am not well versed enough in that area to explain it.

steelfish

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 13, 2021, 03:51:41 PM
Referencing some of your comments.  As we mag a reel to control spool speed and minimize backlashes, we also lose some distance.  If that's the case, why not just use a spinner and avoid the risk of backlash?  Can a spinner outcast a magged conventional reel in terms of distance?

for a weekend warrior, chose your poison!
for a casting competition casting reel normally outcast a super spinning reel.

take a spinner or casting reel, the one that is easier for you in your specific area and situation, in some places a spinning reel is recommended over a baitcaster because of the lack of care in wind, casting area, etc. etc, but still some chose to use a casting reel for the same reason some chose an standard/stick car over an automatic one, pepsi or coke, ford or chevy, etc.

with that said, I like to use conventional reels for surf casting but I must admit that in certain zones and situations its 3x better to cast with an Spinner reel for the easier to use factor and lack of birdnest.

as example: I learned that when casting in Puerto Vallarta over some ugly and tall rocks on the beach; you can cast from the sand on the Beach if you wish but those rocks give you some advantage in yards if you cast standing on top of them over casting from the sand, but you have to watch for your balance on the cast to avoid losing balance and have an ugly fall from then, I used an spinning setup a friend loaned me, I dont think I could made 200 casts of a lure with a casting reel from there without losing a step or without having tons of birdnest.

for me, spinning reel have its place and time (dark night) over a casting reel or you can just use a spinning reel everytime

in the last pic, you can see some friends fishing from the sandy beach, at the back you can see the rocks were some of us climbed to cast from there, only the guys that fished from the rock caught fish that day.
The Baja Guy

oc1

Quote from: Squidh90 on September 13, 2021, 07:24:57 PM
No, a magged conventional will for the most part outcast all spinners. I'm sure someone else here can go deeper into the physics of that, but I personally am not well versed enough in that area to explain it.
Casting is still a mystery to me.  But, I suspect that once you get the spool moving a conventional reel "delivers" line to the stripper guide with little resistance.  

You hear about the importance of start-up speed.  A light weight conventional spool wiill start-up faster than a heavy spool.  Over-runs arise when the spool is delivering more line than the rod and lure can consume or carry away.

With a spinner every foot of line has to be pulled off as it rubs on the edge of the stationary spool.  A spinner also makes those big loopy coils that are more difficult to choke down.  

Dominick once pointed us to a slow-motion video of the line coning off a conventional and a spinner.  When you see what's going on between the spool and the stripper it becomes clear why a conventional is longer.

A spinner is easier to learn to use though.  A conventional has a learning curve and folks like myself don't even try to use them without some sort of braking to make it thumb-free.

steelfish

this thread deserves a good read since they seems to be related

Avet MXL MC for distance https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24562.0
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on September 11, 2021, 08:21:58 PM
I agree Alex and am glad to hear someone else say lever drag reels are disadvantaged when it cmes to casting.

You have to admire Release/Truth/Seigler reels.  A small company started by an engineer.  Unlimited lifetime warranty.  Not made in China.  I hope he can make it over the long run.

Lever drag "casting" reels are sort of morphed designs  from lever drag trolling reels. The spools  tend to be heavier and have more junk  bolted to them relative to a typical star drag casting reel.    While I agree  with your  general assessment, I don't see any reason why a properly dsigned lever drag reel cannot have  the same spool weight and spindle style (if so desired) as a star drag.  At that point, there would be no difference in casting capability.

On spinning reels vs conventional:  I do believe as lighter braid becomes more popular, and since  spinning reels and rods have already  become more optimized for casting braid, the distance advantage for conventional reels is going to shrink enough  that for many folks, it will not be worth learning a much more difficult  (but not THAT difficult) skillset, and will just stick with the  spinners that they learned on and skip all the backlash anxiety.  I think that Jeri has posted some comments about the shrinking of the gap between spinners and conventionals in surf casting, where distance is paramount.

But distance casting is just a one criteria when comparing spinning to conventional reels.

Spinning reels have some specific advantages (easy to learn to cast, backlash free, casting light weights - even with stiff rods and  heavy lines, working speed poppers with lots of slack in the retrieve), but IMHO are generally functionally inferior for many important activities (controlling distance during a cast,  veritical drop fishing, live baiting, troliling).  And spinning reels are unavoidably more complex, with  less structural integrity.

No free lunch.

Getting back to magging conventionals:   Nothing wrong  with playing with static magging, but adjustable would seem to be the way to go long term with one caveat:  The problem with the (from-the-factory) adjustable magged  reels  that I own that start at zero effect  is they don't have a strong enough max. I wonder if it is difficult to design an adjustable mag that can go all the way from zero to controlling a strong heave with a heavy load.  Maybe that is why the Avets don't go all the way down to zero.   I think that Avets have their faults, but compared to other reel makers, they are less likely to do something blindingly stoopid. 

On those  Seigler reels: There  is nothing magical about making a conventional  that casts well.  If the spool is light, the bearings are small, and the parts are straight and well aligned, it will cast.  There is a reason why  tournament casters are still using ABUs.

So there has to be another reason to buy a high end star drag.   If memory serves me right, Seigler started out without a backup dog, and hit the roller clutch issues that should have been anticipated.  They managed to  find a spot for a backup dog by hollowing out the main gear and putting the pawl teeth on the inside (blech) .  To be fair, Seigler was not the only reel company to make this mistake, but being no worse than the completion is not an endorsement.

And the Seigler fly reels have a bunch of "interesting" design choices, starting with the basic dimensions.  It is enough to make me cautious about plunking down cash for any Seigler sight unseen.  This is not to say that those very attractive looking star drag reels might not be worth the price,  but favorable reports over the interwebs would not be enough in this case for me.  YMMV

-J