Avet SXJ 5.3 - Is there a Mag retrofit kit? (Or how/to mag it)

Started by Tuffecs, August 24, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creech

Quote from: Tuffecs on September 25, 2021, 08:58:50 PM
Went to the field today, and what a good casting day!

On a previous field trip, the SXJ had only two 8 mm dia mags (SU2 set-up).  Spool spin time was about 6-7 sec.  All mags 2 mm thick.  When I did the casts, had couple birdnests and loose line.

For today, the SXJ (w/ mono) now had three mags: two 8 mm dia, and one 10 mm dia mags.  For this set-up, spin time estimated to be 2 sec.

I threw 4 ounces on my new Berrypro made-in-china, I'm-really-liking-it, only $70 from Amazon, 11 foot, conv rod.

Did 17 casts, and got no birdnest!  One cast had some quickly-fixed loose line.   On all casts, I did use thumb though, but barely.

For comparison, I then switched to my Daiwa Sealine X20SHA (w/ mono).  This reel is stock.  No mags added.

Did 5 casts, and again, no birdnest.  No loose line either.  I used very little thumb.

The distance was about the same for each reel.

I was really enjoying the casts, especially with the SXJ.  I'm thinking...dang....is my thumb getting smarter?

----------------

Ok, for now, will use the SXJ 3-mag set-up (8, 8,10) for my next fishing trip.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm thinking though, as my thumb gets smarter, I may have to remove the mags as I try to get more distance...lol.

Congrats on the Mag tuning! Fun to get accurate casts into the bite zone and not worry too much about the nests.

Easily my funnest casting setups are Newells magged, Daiwa Sloshes with the spool brake, and the Avet sx's magged. Since i'm casting for hours with tady 45's and other random heavy jigs and trying to keep my balance on the boat, i have to go with the lightest possible reels and jigs sticks to not get too tired haha.

Tuffecs

It's still not quite what I'd like to see.  With this latest set-up (3 mags at 8-8-10, where spool spin time is about 2 sec), I still have to use some thumb.  To cast like the video, where he uses just about no thumb, I may have to add more mags to my SXJ.  In other words, the spool spin time would have to be about zero second, I think.  Or maybe try a stronger 10-10-10 for instant spin spool stop?  Or 12-12-12?

oc1

Less than a second of free spin time does not sound unreasonable if you want to go completely  thumb free.  It's a trade off.  You're going to give up a few yards for the convenience.  When you factor in the backlash tax it may not be a bad deal though.