Dolphin-621 LW

Started by jgp12000, August 24, 2021, 08:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I found this <Dolphin-621 LW>$9 at the new Goodwill store 2 miles away , it seems the level wind went all the way to the left and won't come back I haven't tore it apart yet, currently looking for a schematic. I have no idea the age  but, it was paired with a Heddon Pal rod #7444 looks older than reel.

oldmanjoe

I think you can also follow a penn  209 schematic        http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/209m.pdf
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

jgp12000

Well after getting Olympic Dolphin 621-LW back together I inadvertently got Super Lube on the blue plastic and it made it pretty, so I coated all the blue with it and wiped it off looks nice. The only problem with this reel is the line guide gets stuck to the far left, it appears to be a bad spot on the worm.

oldmanjoe

I would remove the screw under the line guide .     In it is a paw that needs to be cleaned and checked to make sure it still looks like Mickey mouse ears ..       A few pictures .   When installing the screw back together rotate the handle to help the paw settle in  the worm .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

Joe is it supposed to have a spring in there I wasn't sure, I found one that does fit maybe i need it somewhere else

oldmanjoe

No spring that i see .     The paw has to be free to spin in the barrel .    Waxy grease usually gums them up .

jgp12000

this is my pawl

oldmanjoe

OK that cup looks different than what i have , and is standing proud out the top of the cup at that.
Lets see more pictures of the assembly .

MY mistake i picked up the 625 lw .........    Let me look for the other reel ..

oldmanjoe

OK found the other reel with the same cup like you have and no spring .   Again when you start tighten the cup rotate the handle so the paw drop in the worm.   OR set it up on a stick and work on it up side down .    just a little push on the paw with a screw driver and rotate the handle and you will see and feel the paw working .

Gfish

If it's not the pawl, it could be the worm. Clean and check with good light and magnification. A tiny key-hole file can sometimes clean-up little rough spots.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

When the levelwind carriage gets to one side and reverses direction, that pawl has to pivot about 45 degrees.  When the LW carriage is sticking at one side of the other is often means the pawl cannot pivot freely.  Clean the barrel of the pawl and clean inside the carriage to make sure it pivots freely.

jgp12000

I have the spring in photo does it go between the worm bearing and screw?

oldmanjoe

That looks like the spring that pushes the worm drive into the drive gear .   That spring sits on a screw on the right hand side plate .   The big screw at 
   3 o`clock

oldmanjoe

Quote from: jgp12000 on October 02, 2021, 07:21:38 PM
I have the spring in photo does it go between the worm bearing and screw?
In this picture your paw is not in all the way , it should sit flush .